Help!! Tele hell. Any solutions to my problem(s)?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by protoangel, Aug 9, 2006.

1. protoangel

protoangel Member

OK guys, I'm bummed.

Was persuaded to change my (tray-style) Tele bridge to an authentic Fender one from the one I had.

My previous one was for 6 individual saddles, and I put some graph-tec saddles on there. Great tone... Unfortunately they really didn't fit well. The width of each individual saddle was just a hair too wide, so by the time I got to the high E saddle it was pushed at an unnatural angle... Sustain-robbing or what?

Plus... The flippin' threaded intonation bolts are far too long, and the strings get caught or vibrate against them, causing string-breakage!

So I had these vintage-style compensated-intonation brass saddles installed with a new bridge-plate.

Great fat mid range as expected, but flabby bottom end and blurring of attack.

And the intonation on the G-string is soooo flat its embarrassing

Also the pre-requisite microphonic shenanigans have raised their ugly head

Is there a solution?

Anyone use a thicker bridge-plate? What brand?

Anyone know of a 6-saddle solution that will work with tray-style bridges?

NB --- I can't use the modern 6-saddle assemblies, because the through-body holes are in a different position

2. protoangel

protoangel Member

Actually... i just wanted to clear this up... are the through-body holes in a different position on new Teles?

I just assumed they are, because the modern strat-style graph-tec saddles I tried don't line up with the holes, and these saddles look the same shape as the modern saddles.

3. LaXu

LaXu Member

You could try the Wilkinson WT3 bridge. It has 3 brass saddles with a screw in the center so they can be freely angled for accurate intonation. That would sort out the intonation issues, provided that the bridge is the right size for your guitar. I use one on my Yamaha Pacifica and it works very well.

4. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I bought a callaham tele plate and this cleared up the blurred low end, it is much snappier now. I also use the brass saddles.

5. protoangel

protoangel Member

OK! SO is this a common problem?

The Callaham stuff looks nice and heavy!

6. mrfjones

mrfjones Member

callaham stuff is very nice and it is very well made. I would try that if I were you

7. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

Glendale makes 3 bbl saddle sets that have different metals for diff strings - I wear the 'Twang' set on my Tele which is an Aluminum saddle for the E/A strings, and Brass for the other four. These are compensated, high quality construction (like Callaham, et al); the Al saddle gives you more highs and more snap on the low strings - or you could order a steel saddle for this position which would offer even more highs/snap.

Great products: http://www.glendaleguitars.com/

8. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I have the Callaham bridge & saddles on a parts tele and am very happy with it. None of the problems you describe.

Good Luck

9. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

and another vote for the Glendales... love 'em