Help! The rice-krispy guys are in my Rivera amp!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Srvwannab, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

My Rivera R100 Duo 12 has got an intermentent crackling problem in channel one. I was told that the amp was re-tubed prior to buying it-

From what I can read online should I be guessing pre-amp tubes? Also, from the manual it looks like each of channels "shares" pre-amp tubes so there aren't really any dedicated channel one preamp tubes to replace. Thoughts?

Thanks!

2. electroid

electroid Member

Each preamp tube has 2 sections. You might a tube with one bac section. Try swapping the preamp tubes to other sockets. If it's a bad prepamp tube, you'll notice some kind of change of symptom.

3. VintageJon

VintageJon Member

Yeah, change the pre-amp tubes and see if symptom changes.
    "Re-tubed doesn't mean squat, noisey tubes are everywhere. I know as I've replaced them at No Charge...

Finding THE tube in a Rivera will be a goodly amount of time as this is a complex machine and often contains many SS devices. If it's a chip or transistor then the tube change won't help... (I shudder every time I see a Rivera come through the door.)

-Jon

4. Srvwannab

Srvwannab Silver Supporting Member

Thanks, Electriod and Jon-

One other clue... The symptoms have left the building and I can't recreate the noise. Also, I noticed that when the crackling was going on the channel selector light was kind of flickering.

Does that point us in a different direction? With the symptoms gone (at least for now) should I just go on my way....?

5. brad347

brad347 Member

channel light flickering... iffy relay??? tech guys weigh in please.

6. electroid

electroid Member

Relay possible or it could be the relay driver circuit or relay power supply. It will be very difficult to troubleshoot until the problem comes back.