Help? Timmy, BoR, CB, etc...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tnrose, Mar 1, 2008.

1. tnrose

tnrose Member

I need some advice/help here.

I just replaced my Full Drive with a Timmy. I love the way it sounds.

But I'm getting a little tired of the Box of Rock and Crunch Box. Which of these pedals would the BB Preamp replace more adequately?

Also any advice on pedals that stack well with the Timmy is appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

personally I'd chose the BB Preamp over the BOR, really depends on the amp though

never played a Crunch Box

3. Jay Strange

Jay Strange Member

I have a Tim and the Ocd before the Tim is a great lineup. I set the OCD
    for gain and use the Tim low gain and use the spectacular EQ of the Tim for the OCD.

4. VoodooBlues

VoodooBlues Member

BB doesn't have as much gain as the Crunch Box if that's important to you at all.

5. tnrose

tnrose Member

I have a fender Deluxe Reverb...any experience with it and the bb preamp?

6. coreybox

coreybox Member

What don't you like about the BOR/crunch box.

Many people here (myself included) think those are very adequate pedals. Knowing what you dislike, and what you'd prefer, would help make proper suggestions.

7. zion

zion Supporting Member

As far as stacking with the Timmy, the BJFE Honey Bee is the king of stackability. Also, the Mad Professor Little Green Wonder is very good timmyfied. I also ran an Analogman King of Tone with great success with Timmy. Good luck!

8. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

I owned a HB, BoR, Timmy, Tim, Eternity Burst, BB, OCD v3, SBR808+, Klon, etc, etc, etc.

I like the BoR the best because it is so responsive to the guitar's volume control.

...it does have a slight bass hump though.

[​IMG]

9. nb_fan

nb_fan Member

The BB preamp is great with the deluxe reverb.
    I run a strat and an SG into a Bad Monkey --> Catalinbread Hyperpak --> BB Preamp --> Big Muff

I use the Bad Monkey as a volume/fat boost, the Hyperpak for the crunchy rhythm stuff and the BB Preamp for the lead solos. The Muff is there for extra flavour here and there.

The BB is great for the smoother type of OD. Once you get past about 10, you start to notice the compression of the pedal. It's not very heavy (until you get way past noon), but I use it as a nice articulate solo sound, some edge with some sustain as well. Then use the BM to boost the signal and get more grit from the BB. The bass and treble knobs give you a lot of versatility with the BB