HELP! Two Rock Jet Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PinoyBoy, Feb 15, 2008.

1. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

Darn, it's tough not having a Two Rock dealer in town!

I'm looking for a small amp and honed in on the Two Rock Jet based on soundclips I've heard and what everyone says about it. However, I'm undecided on a few things:

1 -- Standard or Signature? -- I've read that the main differences are that the Signature has mid and deep switches as well as better reverb. However, not having heard them side-by-side, I have no way of knowing if the plusses are significant. Has anyone tried to compare the two?

2 -- Combo or head + cab? -- I like the convenience of a combo, but have read that people think that the combo "limits" the capabilities of the Jet. Is that the consensus? Also, I've read that some people use their Jets through 2x12s. I had assumed that because of its power, that a 1x12 will suffice. Does it sound better through a 2x12?

3 -- If combo, then what about the Jumbo Jet? -- I can't find anything on the website about this. All I've heard is that the combo is bigger and has a 2x10 speaker config. Does the bigger box make up for what people earlier felt was a box that limited the amp?

Thanks!

2. KOG

KOG Supporting Member

I am a TR CRS v1 owner. Some of this depends on how much you want to spend. From what I understand the Jet is a stripped down CRS - missing some of the bells and whistles. If I were in your shoes, I would pick up a used TR CRS or a Classic Reverb ( I think their is one on Ebay now). These go used close to what the Jet sells for new and you get all of the goods. Unless convenience and weight are the most important factors, I say one should always go with a separate head and cab. Combos cabs area always sacrifice and a compromise - plus you get tube rattle and wear/tear on tubes.

A had a standard TR Custom Reverb and then purchased the Sig version. In my experience, the difference was not that dramatic. Looking back with the standard CR, probably using good tubes and speakers choices would have covered the difference. Don't get me wrong a love my CRS! One thing about the Sig version, you can run 6V6's in the lower power mode. So if the 6L6 & 6V6 thing is important to you on the Jet, the CR Sig does that as well.

The TR 1x12 is fantastic! Plus you can easily switch speakers in/out if you travel down that road (two words on speakers for TR's - Scumback and Celestion (12-65). Regardless of what amp you decide, everything will sound great through the TR 1x12.

Not to burst your bubble, but it seems that TR is putting more emphasis on the the Classic series ( I,II, III,Reverb etc). If I could, I would make the leap to that series. Since it sounds like you may be starting out on your TR venture, I would look for something used. Unfortunately when you buy a new TR, you will take a big hit when you sell it. Kind like buying a new Cadillac. These amps are worthy of the praise and I wish the depreciation wasn't there - but it is!

Just my $.02. Good Luck!

3. theHoss

theHoss Member

Howdy,

You might have already done this but I would contact ToneGurus. He is very knowledgeable about TRs and I am sure will be able to answer any question you have about the JET.

Here is his official TR Thread.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=234537

Good luck man! Great amps!

4. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

Thanks for the feedback and pointing me to that other thread. Very informative.

One other reason for wanting the Jet is because of the low power. I need something for church and other smaller venues. I already have an older K&M custom (50w) and really dig it. Someday I'll try to get the new CR, but the priority right now is a small, low power amp.

Would you guys recommend a head+cab instead of the combo? Have you guys tried the jumbo?

5. theHoss

theHoss Member

I haven't tried either, so the following is based solely on talks with guys who have.

1) Get the head cab if you want a really nice full (bigger) sound.

2) Tonegurus says that the Jumbo Jet with the appropriate speaker can be huge sounds.

I would talk with him regarding speaker selection. That guy know a ton when it comes to TRs and is more than willing to share information with you.

Great guy.

What type of guitar are you playing with them? Just curious.

6. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

I can't contribute anything about the Jet, other than I am in the exact same boat you are in. In fact, I'm only about 15 minutes up 75 from you. I plan to buy the next used Jet combo that pops up so I can try one. I'll shoot you a PM if I get one. I really want a Jet combo for size and weight. If I go head/cab, I'll probably go for an Opal, Em.Pro, or even a Fuchs, and just hope the MV is great for Sunday morning volume levels.

7. trap

trap Supporting Member

i have the jet combo and i love it. it gives me the option of using a 112 ext cab or not. for me, moving it to jams , open mikes and the occasional gig makes the combo a must. i just couldn't see myself setting up a head and cab for a 15 minute set at an open mike. and the combo sounds great. as good as a 112 or 212 cab? no,it's a 112 combo, it is what it is. how bout 412? 1012? i mean cmon, you can always get bigger! some of the greatest music on tape was made with small amps. lets not forget that. and soundwise it has all the qualities of the larger two rocks. it's chewey, touch sensitive, 3D, etc. i can't tell you about the jumbo jet or sig. haven't heard them.:)

8. theHoss

theHoss Member

Great point Trap. I like the idea of have the 1x12 extension cab if need be. That makes a lot of sense and adds some nice configuration options. If you use the extension cab, and you use the internal speaker at the same time?

Thanks man!

9. trap

trap Supporting Member

yes, i have an avatar cab with a celestion 12-65 heritage in it. which is a nice combination with the tr 1265.

10. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

Thanks -- I'll go give ToneGurus a call on Tuesday. Based on the limited reading I can find, the Jumbo Jet might have solved the concerns being raised about the regular, smaller combo. I would like the convenience of a grab-and-go type amp, but of course not at the expense of sacrificing tone.

Type of guitar? All my guitars have humbuckers. I'm mainly into classic rock. However, I also play in church and we do modern christian music. That's why I like the Jet. For church, I need solid cleans and some overdrive but not much.

11. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

Hey, that's a good point... I didn't think of that. Thanks for sharing.

12. trap

trap Supporting Member

look, the jet head is the same depth and width as the combo but is 10" high as opposed to about 18". so you carry around an extra 8" and a speaker. not a lot really, and you can always add that 112 cab.thats how i look at it.and the combo does sound pretty great in spite of the small cab. i'll tell you what ,i owned a 68 princeton rev for years and this amp would blow it far and away. and sounds much fuller than that. and you don't hear people saying "gee, the princeton sounds small and lacks bottom end". they accept it as having it's own sound. same with the jet.

13. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Member

did you use the jet in any of the songs on your soundclick site?

14. trap

trap Supporting Member

yes, they should be marked, the steeley dan jam is one, cminor fusion, emin jam cmin jam. :)

15. Tube Guy

Tube Guy Silver Supporting Member

When I can't decide between a combo or head I get a combo and a spare head shell (with a second reverb pan), then I can always switch.

That's what I've done with my Jet.

16. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

Here are some completely raw clips I did with the Jet combo. No processing, just guitar - amp - Rode NT4 - edirol mp3 recorder. http://www.soundclick.com/michaelpaolucci

The best reason to get the combo is its diminutive size. The ultimate in portability, still giving you that killer tone albeit with some lack of low end. Trap is right though, buying the combo is almost like getting a "large" head with the added benefit of a built in speaker. He's already pointed out that you can easily add a 1x12 or 2x12 under it. I also use a Rivera los lowbottom powered sub; the combination sounds huge. The jumbo jet doesn't do much for me design-wise as it looks like it might be fairly unweildy to move around, unlike the compact 1x12. However, I'd bet that the missing low end suddenly reappears, lol. I have not had the pleasure of hearing a Jet Sig but my CR Sig IS a fairly sizable step up in complexity and dimension to the Jet. See if you can find some clips of a Jet Sig to see if the difference is worth it to you.
    Good luck.

17. rickwil61

rickwil61 Member

So you just plug your extension cab into the 4 ohm output? You can plug a 8 ohm speaker into the 4 ohm jack, correct?

BTW nice recordings of the Jet! What kind of guitar were you using?

18. rickwil61

rickwil61 Member

Do you know if the combo is voiced differently than the head? I've got a Jet Sig combo on the way and I'm thinking the same thing you are. I'm just wondering if you put the combo chassis into a head shell if you would get more low end than if you would have gotten the head from the factory.

19. rickwil61

rickwil61 Member

Thanks J.T. Yeah I'm psyched! Definetly thinking of giving the Gold a try at some point. :banana

20. trap

trap Supporting Member

yes, two 8 ohm speakers, one into each jack. thanks for the kind words. the jet demo was with my 89 prs cu24. i have a recording now on member soundclips called "hippity hop" which uses the jet in a head cab with a hermida 112 ported cab and a celestion 1265 speaker. also with the 89 prs.