• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Help! Varitone and treble bleed problems...

=JL=

...Hi, folks, just a bit of background, I always run treble bleed caps on all my guitars, of varying values, depending on the application.
I just installed a pre-wired loom with varitone from an Epi Lucille into an old semi I had lying around. So far so good, everything works as normal. The problem is, when I fit treble bleed caps to the volume pots, they don't make any difference. I've tried different values from 470 to 2000pf, but nothing works. I was using 470pf in this guitar with the same pickups, and it was the perfect value, getting slightly brighter as I turned down.
The pots are the same value as before, the only thing different is the varitone, I'm guessing it's interacting with the pots in some way?
Any ideas, before I junk the varitone I've just drilled a big hole for?
Thanks in advance, JL

Jef Bardsley

I've found two very different schematics on the web. I'm not sure what you'd find in an Epiphone. One of them, from Gibson, shows the volume pots wired 'indie' style with the input going to the wiper. If that's what you have, rewire them so the input is opposite the ground and the wiper goes to the guitar's output. Otherwise, you'll a treble loss no bypass can compensate for.

Beyond that, there's a 100K resistor inline with the signal, and to get a treble bypass to work, you'd want to connect it before that resistor (ie, between the pickup and resistor) and run from there to the volume pot's output.

=JL=

Thanks for the responses guys, I guess I'll do a little more experimenting on the circuit. The last Varitone I bought was too big for the intended guitar, so I made it into a footswitchable pedal. Every guitar I plug into it works as normal, so I'm thinking I might try wiring it just before the output jack in this guitar and see what happens.

Jef Bardsley

Duh. Yeh. Right. Thanks. :eek:

You ever tell some kid, "I've forgotten more than you know."?

Each passing year it's more and more likely. ;)

...and, it doesn't sound like the typical VariTone either.

True. But it's a Gibson design, has everything the OP wants, and it works great.

[edit] Just saw post #5. If it's in a external box, post-guitar, "Blueshawk" style wiring is not possible. So disregard my previous statements.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom