Help, Vicky 20112 no sound!?!

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by DEMENTED, Feb 23, 2009.

1. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

I have a Victoria 20112, last night it worked fine, today I fired it up, hit a chord and was greeted with ....nothing. Checked my cords, checked the tubes, checked the fuse. all seem ok. It turns on, and I hear a faint hum in the speaker but nothing seems to get through from the inputs. Hooked it up to an extension cab to make sure it wasn't the speaker and no difference...just the hum of a tube amp being on. What happened overnight?

2. picnic

picnic Member

3. Apprentice

Apprentice Member

if it was a rectifier he'd get nothing at all. what do you mean when you say you "checked" the tubes? did you test them? did you replace them w/ ones you know 100% to be good?

4. DEMENTED

I pulled all the tubes and replaced them with known good tubes. Same result, just a slight hum.

5. Trout

Trout Member

#1 Do all of the tube lite?

That is a really simple amp to work on, and it has a very limited number of parts.
    It could be as simple as 1 solder joint or broken lead.
    Seeing as it was working fine, I would guess it is only a minor problem.

6. Fuchsaudio

Fuchsaudio Member

Speaker and/or speaker cable ?

7. DEMENTED

Yeah Andy, I tried it into one of my 1x12 cabs, same result, swapped cables too.. it appears to be not recieving the input from the guitar?

8. bendix

bendix Member

If you haven't already, make sure it is not the guitar by plugging it into another amp. Sometimes the output jack of the guitar can twist a little, and short out against the internal shielding of the guitar. By the same token, it could be that the input jack of the amp moved enough to be shorting out the signal to ground. Or sometimes a volume pot gets loose and touches the signal to ground. Could even happen in transit. See if there is any play in the jacks or pots on the amp. It doesn't take much to cause a problem sometimes.
    When you have it on and the guitar is plugged-in, try turning up the volume control and seeing if the hum gets louder. If it does, then it could be something in the circuit before the volume control has a problem. If it doesn't get louder, then I would look downstream of the volume control for the problem.

Good luck,

Tim

9. DEMENTED

Yup Tim, I tried all that...it looks as though it's come to the end of my abilities, LOL. I guess it's gonna have to make the trip to my tech. I am sure it's something simple but still beyond me.

10. DEMENTED

Good news, took the amp to my tech/friends and he found a ground that the solder had let go on. Good as new now....time for speaker swapping!!!

11. Trout

Trout Member

Thats great News!

One thing nice about those amps, there are only a handul of parts and solder joints to worry about.

KISS technology at its finest!