Help w/ killer simple setup for quality acoustic folk recording

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by kenoflife, Nov 26, 2017.

1. MrTAteMyBalls

MrTAteMyBalls Member

You have some very good advice here. This was fun to read. The best things I can recommend is to invest some DIY into some gobos to deal with the room.

IMO, your goal won't be to treat the room, but to create a tracking area so you can minimize the sound of the room. Some moving blankets draped over mic stands can help, but won't replace the 703 absorbers. Using both can accomplish a lot.

I think mics and absorbers will make a bigger difference than upgrading the focusrite. You may consider keeping it and AB'ing against the RME and see if you feel it is worth the extra cost.

2. kenoflife

kenoflife Supporting Member

I was thinking of at least selling the focusrite (which is unopened still) and investing another $150 into the Audient ID14 - besides perhaps being a marginally better sounding unit, it has ADAT possibilities so I could expand into more tracks.

Still wondering bout those premade panels vs DIY - I don't really want to deal w/ making frames and fabric and making it be solid... There's also those smaller vocal isolation booth round units...and other manufacturers for panels. Some seem to claim the panels aren't that helpful w/ how they deal with bouncing back waves - I guess it all has to be tried and tested out.

3. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Yes. If you absolutely need an LDC for this recording
    rent one. You can get a much better microphone than
    you could buy - with less initial outlay.

4. Fran Guidry

Fran Guidry Member

There's really no need to frame the panels. OC703 will support itself. Wrap it in acoustically transparent fabric (cheap burlap works) and you're done.

I did a little demo using two such panels for acoustic guitar recording: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2011/12/11/just-two-broadband-panels/

Fran

5. feet

feet Supporting Member

one of, if not the biggest improvements i made in my tracking and chain was buying treatment. i use an 11x13ish room and it sounded awful. i spent a gang of money over at gik buying bass traps and treatment, but you hear every cent in every take you cut from that point forward. do not skimp on this. at the very least, do not ignore it. i think i got four bass traps and maybe six of the large panels and that was enough. treatment and monitoring are the things people ignore the most, and that is a huge mistake. like like spending all this money on parts to make your car go faster and never addressing the tires or the suspension.

as for the mics, i went with a classic setup that would work with my lack of abilities and facilities- shure sm7 and sm81. for all my acousticing and singer songwritering i do, those are the mics. i own "cooler" ones, but those get it done every time, and still deliver clean tracks under my less than ideal circumstances.

it sounds like you've done well enough everywhere else. treat the place and you're ready to go.