help w/ tele bridge

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by adelphi710, Mar 12, 2006.

1. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

i have a tele w/ the callaham vintage style bridge and brass compensated saddles. i'm getting pretty sick of my guitars intonation not being right (im picky). can i have 6 holes drilled into the bridge and buy some G&L saddles so i can get that twang but have 6 separate saddles? or should i just get the entire G&L bridge? i'm trying to keep the benefit of callahams bridge plate, considering it is so excellent.

ps im also exploring the possibility of it being my nut

2. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

This is worrying, I just ordered Callaham compensated saddles for my Esquire based on all the positive feedback.. I'm also very concerned about intonation. I spend alot of time recording and just cant be out of tune. I hope it's the nut :)

What strings you use? How compromised it is?

3. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

i just DR strings (.48 through .11 i believe). it sounds amazing, thats why i'm torn. i dont want to compromise tone, but i can't stand being the only one out of tune in my band. i'm finally so proud of my tone, and my effects, i simpy cannot have my guitar out of tune. ESPECIALLY when recording

4. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Member

I'm sure you have a good reason to be proud of your tone, Bad Cat with Fender Teles is magic, pure magic! :)

So, how bad is it?? Do you have to compromise between each two strings or is the problem worse on one or two of the saddles?

5. stratofied

stratofied Member

I haven't tried the callaham vintage style bridge and brass compensated saddles but if you do find that it is the problem you might want to check these.

6. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

its mostly just the G string or B string, other than its great. for some reason the G is always sharp or the B is always flat. its so annoying, we are demoing in a basement (which may i add sounds amazing because the guy mixing is a genious - ill post clips) to send to our producer in LA (foo fighters, queens of the stoneage, elliot smith, REM, becky, the vines, etc...)...imagine what HE is going to think when he hears a guitar thats not in tune..simply unacceptable

ps I'm well aware that the problem is most likely me, but I've tried everything. I practice setting up guitars, i do my research. i'm really starting to think it might be the nut?

7. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

8. Curly

Curly Member

a tech put my last tele together ... it had a Callaham bridge, and he commented that it intonated very easily

9. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

so there is a good chance it could be my nut than? that would be a pretty easy fix :)