Help- Want new pickups for my 80s Gibson ES335 Dot

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by dewman, Jan 19, 2006.

1. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

Hey everyone, I have an ES335 Dot from the mid 80s which sounds generally good but I am looking for a little more clarity and warmth in the highs. Dialing the pickup down a couple of notches helps, but I play non master volume amps and want to turn up for leads and maintain some clarity, warmth without any graininess or mushiness that the stock pickups can sometimes give in these guitars from 7-10on the volume dial. Don't get me wrong, the stock pups are great, I am just looking at warmth with clarity throughout the spectrum of the volume knob. The middle and neck positions are awesome at 5 on the dial, but these pickups are powerful, or at high volume settings start to lose focus a bit and can adopt a different tone which is more piercing and less sweet. I want to get that sweetness to extend throughout the volume range as best as possible.

Some pup brands come to mind- Fralins, Holmes, Lollars, Duncan Antiquities, WCRs. Too many selections, and so many confusing definitions of 'PAF' tone it's making my head spin reading Gearpage and harmony-central reviews. I have played an early 60s 335 with patent pickups (freeakin awesome tone through a blackface deluxe reverb) and A/B'ed it against a 79 335TD (the model with thin, anemic pickups but with that cool coil tap feature -good guitar, crappy pickups). Have you had any experience with replacement pups in a 335??? Mucho gracias!! Thanks-

D

2. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

go with the holmes- if you can find a set!

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

+1...!

4. Roe

Roe Member

highorder or voodoo

5. jockman

jockman Member

Rio Grande Texas BBQ set, a match made in heaven for your guitar.

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

57 Classics in newer 335s sound great. I've never used them, but a lot of people rave about WCR pickups. Their clips sound really good.

7. dewman

dewman Gold Supporting Member

what's the deal with Holmes pickups- does he not make them anymore? Is he 'mysterious' and 'spooky' to deal with...I hear they're expensive as hell...

ES335 owners give me your thoughts, what have you tried that sounded good. Some of these major PAF clones sound great in Les Pauls and not in 335s since they are mid rich and altogether different beasts...

anyone have Holmes in their 335 or 335 copy, anyone have pups from the other manufacturers?

8. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

+1 on the WCR's. I have heard a bunch about them and I'm thinking of buying a pair myself.

9. Jet Rink

Jet Rink Member

TV Jones. Best pickups on the market for hollows, semi-hollows. Lots of choices.

Jet

10. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Member

11. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Silver Supporting Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I have SD Seth Lovers in my Heritage 535 and am very impressed with the clarity and warmth -- great choice for an ES-335 type guitar, and less expensive than many of the other options you've listed.

12. asdf

asdf Member

The Frallins I've heard sounded great..

13. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I had Seth Lovers in a 78 ES345 and thought they sounded killer. The guitar was a little stiff and dead compared to a 59, but the pickups helped.