Help wanted in starting home studio over again

Brian Scherzer

Co-Founder of TGP
Staff member
I had posted about a week or so again that I was looking for ideas on preamps after deciding to dust off my old home recording gear. After doing a LOT of reading about things that might interest me, I began to realize that I may need to start from scratch. Everything I have is now between 6-8 years old and is built around a Mac G4 450 dual-processor (OS 9) and the Digi001. I was looking at some plugins and found that none of the ones I wanted were able to work with such an old system.

I'm not looking for a fancy pro setup. I like a computer based system and I prefer ProTools LE because I'm familiar with it. What I do want is sufficient horsepower to handle up to 24 tracks and for the resulting recordings to sound nice on a good home audio system.....understanding that the engineer (me) will have a lot to do with how good things will sound.

Starting with a computer system, I want something moderately priced, but with sufficient power to handle the track load. Haven't decided between PC or Mac, but have decided that I would go with an updated ProTools LE interface and software and want to use some UA cards with their plugins. I still have an old firewire Glyph 40gig external drive that would appear usable for now.

Since I won't ever record drums in my basement, I'll need no more than 2 recording inputs at any one time. I'm pretty sold on one of them being a UA solo610 tube pre. I still have to decide on one other pre that has a different coloration.

So, what do I really need in the way of a computer that gives me what I have to have, but no frills beyond that?

scoob

I have a firepod and it way more than I need. Also have an intel Imac. Those apogee duets are great but only have 2 inputs/outputs...if that's enough you can't go wrong with it. edit: I don't know if these work with PT

fetishfrog

I had posted about a week or so again that I was looking for ideas on preamps after deciding to dust off my old home recording gear. After doing a LOT of reading about things that might interest me, I began to realize that I may need to start from scratch. Everything I have is now between 6-8 years old and is built around a Mac G4 450 dual-processor (OS 9) and the Digi001. I was looking at some plugins and found that none of the ones I wanted were able to work with such an old system.

I'm not looking for a fancy pro setup. I like a computer based system and I prefer ProTools LE because I'm familiar with it. What I do want is sufficient horsepower to handle up to 24 tracks and for the resulting recordings to sound nice on a good home audio system.....understanding that the engineer (me) will have a lot to do with how good things will sound.

Starting with a computer system, I want something moderately priced, but with sufficient power to handle the track load. Haven't decided between PC or Mac, but have decided that I would go with an updated ProTools LE interface and software and want to use some UA cards with their plugins. I still have an old firewire Glyph 40gig external drive that would appear usable for now.

Since I won't ever record drums in my basement, I'll need no more than 2 recording inputs at any one time. I'm pretty sold on one of them being a UA solo610 tube pre. I still have to decide on one other pre that has a different coloration.

So, what do I really need in the way of a computer that gives me what I have to have, but no frills beyond that?

If you're dead set on Pro-Tools LE, I'd go for a mid level Intel Mac G5. I have found Macs run Pro Tools better and PC's and the Digi's Core Audio drivers are better than their ASIO.

As a foil to the UA610, I recommend a Grace Designs 101, as it is totally transparent. It's an amazing sound.

trisonic

Brian,

I just upgraded to an Imac with 4 gigs of ram and 24" screen (actually I've found the screen to be important to recording).

It's a funny thing because I'm an analogue kind of guy until a few weeks ago when a neighbour bought a Line 6 UX2 and I helped him set it up with his Apple and recorded a decent piece of music, finished, in less than 90 minutes using Garageband.

So I got one (a UX2) - then I ran into problems with my PowerBook limiting the number of tracks I could use, hence an updated computer.

Now I feel limited by the program! I've used ProTools in the past but never have I set it up and have heard it is temperamental to set up at home.....so I didn't rush out and buy it.
Perhaps you can give me some advice too..........

Best, Pete.

loudboy

Put your $ in mics and monitors. There's a TON of great options, compared to 6 years ago.

Almost any computer out there is going to run 24 tracks.

Loudboy

Victor R

Endeavor to Persevere
Double Platinum Member
The Digi003 is much better and easier to use than the 001. The preamps are decent and they come bundled with tons of cool software.

I paid $1500 for my 003 (with a Digi002 trade-in) at Sweetwater.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom