Help - what guitars ship with minibuckers?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bduersch, Mar 20, 2008.

1. bduersch

bduersch Member

Ok, here's my deal... I had a couple of Gibson Firebirds over the course of the past year... really got into the minibucker tone but couldn't deal with the wacky body shape. Now I'm on a quest to find something else with minibuckers... so far I've seen a couple outrageously priced Jackson models (SLATQ?) and an old Hamer Eclipse (looks like good bang-for-the-buck, but the one I found was beat to hell), that's about it. Any particular models should I be on the lookout for?

--B

2. stoob0t

stoob0t Member

3. shawntp

shawntp Member

The Fender 52 Hot Rod Tele has a Mini Seymore Duncan in the neck position.

4. redgold

redgold Supporting Member

Vinetto Legato. Tele shape with softer edges and a tummy cut. Super ergonomics, choice of mahog/alder/ash, great sound.

Ray

5. baimun

baimun Member

I got the same mini-humbucker bug... and fell in love with that same impossible-to-find Jackson carved top...

... so I went a different route and have begun building a mini-humbucker beast.

[​IMG]

In the pic above, everything is just sitting in place, and actually the body is in the process of being rebuilt. (an ugly issue regarding the alder in the neck pocket area, so the body wood's being planed down and the resulting top board will be reattached to a new body... mahogany this time)

The neck is an Ernie Ball Music Man neck, and I've since found chrome bezels for the mini-buckers. The hipshot bridge is also going to be replaced by a similar, but larger Mighty Mite bridge.

6. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Obviously, a Les Paul Deluxe.

7. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have had a Hamer Eclipse for a long time. They are great guitars. In fact, I love the Firebird pickup tone so much, I recently bought a Firebird. Well, like you, I am having problems fighting the body shape. I may end up selling it.

You can find used Hamer Eclipse around for about $500. They are a great guitar at that price.

Remember also, that P90 routes and mini humbucker routes are nearly the same size. So you can convert any P90 guitar over to Firebird pickups. There are plenty of guitar with P90's out there.

8. Help!I'maRock!

Help!I'maRock! Member

9. bduersch

bduersch Member

Ah, now that thought never crossed my mind... that does open up a lot more possibilities.

--B