Help! What is going on here?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by CALI68, Dec 16, 2009.

1. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Hi, I recently purchased a Radial Headbone in hopes of being able to switch between two heads. The following is a demo I did of the problem I am experienceing.

I'm stumped! :dunno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_N-DA6KRBU

-Chris

2. Patrick620

Patrick620 Member

The vid link says that is "set to private", even once i logged in.

3. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Ooops sorry about that! I fixed it.

-Chris

4. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Does the problem still occur with the guitar unplugged? Try it both with the guitar cable into the Headbone, and unplugged from the Headbone.

Also can you try it without the attenuator in the circuit?

If the problem still occurs you will probably need to talk to the people at Tonebone as you've got a nice resonant circuit in their somewhere.

Edit: I'm only getting a quick glance at the wiring on the Headbone so forgive me if I'm mistaken, but is the attenuator wired between the speaker out and the speaker, or someplace else?

5. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Thanks for the info! Yes, it still happens with the guitar unplugged and the Phantom makes no difference plugged or unplugged I guess I'll need to call Radial today.

-Chris

6. CALI68

CALI68 Member

Amp 1 is wired as follows:

Speaker out from the 1200>Attenuator IN>Attenuator Speaker A Out>Headbone "From Amp 1 Output">Heqadbone "To Speaker Cabinet>Speaker cab input.

Basically instead of going from the attenuator to the cab I now go from the attenuator to the Headbone (as the manual says to do).

-Chris

7. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

I'm not disagreeing, but that strikes me as a little strange recommendation, mainly because it means you would need two attenuators (not that's necessarily a bad thing, it does mean greater flexibility, just that it is spendy.)

From the last item on the FAQ page, you can place he attenuator between the Headbone and the cab, you might want to give that a try (if for no other reason than to tell Tonebone that you've ruled it out as a potential issue.)

All around strangeness.

But it sure seems like something within the Headbone does not respond well to a hot signal. The really strange part is that, since you are seeing the problem from an attenuated amp signal going into the Headbone you'd think it would appear much sooner on the volume knob with the attenuator absent (or only present after the Headbone.)

Please let us know how this works out.

8. CALI68

CALI68 Member

That would be coolness beyond cool! I just contacted Tim from Faustine and he's checking it out. Being able to attenuate both amp heads would be incredible!

I'll let you know!

...and thanks a million for your help!

-Chris

9. CALI68

CALI68 Member

AH HA!!!!! OK I got it now! I tried EVERYTHING under the sun in terms of trouble shooting but I had one last thing I didn't do ...switch channels (meaning use the 1200 for amp 2 and the GPM for AMP 1) as soon as I did that the GPM squeeled and the 1200 DID NOT!!! The unit is definitely defective. ...specifically the "AMP 1 channel.

GREAT news though! The Phantom works perfectly fine for BOTH heads. I spoke to Tim today to get the ok. So I can switch between heads AND attenuate BOTH of them! Very cool and well worth all this hassle to find out.

-Chris

10. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Member

Glad to hear you've pinpointed the problem. Hopefully Radial comes through with the solution.

Sounds like the people at Faustine are top notch.