Help! what would you do?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mattoo31287, Sep 27, 2008.

1. mattoo31287

mattoo31287 Member

I recently bought a 2007 mint condition PRS Custom 22 with a ten top and birds in tortoise shell but the unthinkable happened just minutes after taking it out if the case for the first time, I somehow bumped it by the upper strap button and a flake of finish fell off :eek: I could have cried, such a beautiful flawless guitar tainted just minutes after receiving it. Now, I emailed various repair shops around Georgia and I didnt receive but responses 2 back. One was of absolutely no help, and the other which was in Atlanta suggested that I touch up the stop with nail polish as opposed to getting it fixed with lacquer.
    Now I dont know about you but this just sounded crazy! Have any of you had any experience with this, or do you have any other suggestions Id appreciate it.

2. All Hallows

All Hallows Member

They are all going to ask for pictures....

Let us see so that we may help. :)

3. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Never play it again.

Seriously man...guitars get scratched,dinged etc when you play/use them. Don't abuse them...but to baby something like a guitar??? Never been my thing. I treat with respect...but a little chip? No biggie. Often a repair will look worse than the damage. So be careful when you get it fixed. I'd ask to see some examples of work before trusting someone to fix something small that could turn into a booger of a repair.

Honest wear is OK-

JD

4. mattoo31287

mattoo31287 Member

I tried to take pictures but they all turned out blurry, but I mean I suppose itll be ok. It just sucks cause I would have liked to have it mint for a little while longer than a few minutes lol. But its probably for the better, oddly enough I have a Nocaster Relic as well that I could give two s***'s about whether it got dinged nicked or whatever and the funny thing is is that I paid more for it than my CU22. But I do believe guitars are meant to be played so Id better get to it.

5. All Hallows

All Hallows Member

IT sucks man. I dinged my favorite acoustic not too long ago after it being mint for a very long while. These things happen. I was so pissed and then I was sad but now I look at that mark and remember the past which isn't always a bad thing.

6. mattoo31287

mattoo31287 Member

Very true, its all about the memories! Especially with your favorite gear:RoCkIn

7. 12guitdown

12guitdown Member

Forget about the resale value. It's a keeper.:D

8. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

the first ding is always a little rough, but just think pretty soon, the whole guitar will look like that!

9. 5E3

5E3 Member

Now it is a relic ;)

Don't worry about it and enjoy.

10. wes37

wes37 Supporting Member

If you still have the chip that fell off, then clear nail polish is an easy fix.

11. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

It's now your main axe, enjoy and quit worrying about it.

12. straightblues

straightblues Member

The nail polish is a legitimate fix.

13. bluferbl

bluferbl Member

I took a chip out of the top of my PRS when I let go of the end of the guitar strap and the straplock swung in an arc and hit the top of the guitar. I took it to a repair guy and he filled in the ding with layers of super glue. It's nearly impossible to see where the chip was (most times I try to show people how good the repair was, I can't find it) and the repair was very reasonable, about 50 euro if I remember correctly.