Help ! Which Expression Pedal ???

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by warren3333, Feb 14, 2015.

1. warren3333

warren3333 Gold Supporting Member

Ive got a few that can be controlled by an external expression pedal - Big Sky, Particle, Moog, etc

But Ive genuinely no idea what to get ! Can a EP control more than one ?

Did Mission make an EP that can control 2 ? Thanks in advance folks...

2. T-Rad

T-Rad Member

I like T1M expression knobs. It takes up WAY less space on a board and does the same thing as an expression pedal. I use it to control my bigsky.

3. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Yes. One of the Mission Engineering's products can control 2, EX50 by AMT and the new Source Audio Dual can do that as well.

To control more than 2 pedals simultaneously I guess a simple passive box (like the DOD 24) could be used for that purpose, or even better, add a switch to each of the outputs to select only the ones you'd like to control. Never tried this before but I don't think it would be difficult to wire.

4. frank1985

frank1985 Member

5. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

yea, one of the mission engineering pedals can have 2 pedals simultaneously connected to it, however, it is going to be adjusting both pedals at the same time as well. If you want to be able to switch between the pedals, the mission expressionator is a good choice, you can connect 3 pedals to it, and set different preset combinations of pedals with it as well as change the taper of the pot, worth looking into as its probably the best route to go if you want one expression pedal, but still want to control multiple pedals at different times/combinations. There may be a passive way to switch, but then once you remove the expression pot from one of the pedals, that pedal will automatically default to whatever value is set on the knob that the expression is controlling. So say you have the expression controlling the feedback of a delay, once you remove the expression from that signal, the feedback will match the value on the pedal, which if your set to an oscillating state, the delay will go into oscillation on its own, not good in a live situation.

6. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

7. theluckyjackson

theluckyjackson Silver Supporting Member

The Source Audio Dual Expression pedal can simultaneously control 2 pedals with standard TRS inputs, but we've (I say "we've" because I work here at Source Audio) also got pedal called the Reflex Expression Controller that will control up to 3 pedals. It won't be available until probably April of this year, but it is coming. With the Reflex each output has a set of DIP switches that allow you to configure the connection to work with any brand of pedal that has an EXP in. You can also set the individual depth and direction of each expression signal.

This video explains it pretty nicely:

8. G22

G22 Member

I will definitely recommend Mission expression pedals. It's an outstanding product of an irreproachable quality for your tone and for the expression it deserves. The customer service is outstanding, I've talked with Paul there and he's awesome. Took the time on phone to help me find the best pedals that suits my needs. Also they are pretty nice and looks killer.

9. belafonte

belafonte Member

Yamaha FC7 is a great pedal and a great value.. Might need to reverse the polarity depending on what you use it with.

Edit: oh you want to control 2 things with it.. I don't know, maybe you could split the signal with a Y cord or build a splitter box, never tried it though.

An expression pedal with impeccable tone? Eek.

10. cbm

Unless the two units are identical, this is not a good idea.

11. Rockfiddler

Rockfiddler Member

Splitting the cable will affect the resistance seen across the expression jacks, which would change the range of expression you can adjust. Not a great idea. I'm holding out for the Reflex.

12. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

The Mission Engineering Expressionator is a good way to go. Send expression pedal into it, and control up to three at the same time.

I have the little AMT expression and it takes up about as much space as a regular exp pedal.

13. cbm

Beyond that, an expression pedal is usually configured as a voltage divider, with the top of the pot at some voltage on the ring of the plug, the bottom at ground (sleeve), and the wiper of the pot on the tip. If the two devices in question use different voltages for the top of the pot, you can get into real trouble, of the "all-blowed-up" kind.

14. cbm

Does the Expressionator maintain the last value, when a channel is de-selected? For example, if you move the pedal to the middle position when controlling channel A, then select channel B, does channel A stay at halfway?

15. belafonte

belafonte Member

Makes perfect sense. Good to know.

16. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

from what I understood, yes, it is supposed to hold the value of each channel when cycling through channels.

17. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

In testing it now, no. When you turn off a channel, it just stops affecting the pedal at all.

Note that the footswitch cycles thru which channels'
    -position is displayed
    -and which one you can change the function on
    -i.e. regular, inverted, oscillating, ramp,

the little buttons turn on or off channels

there may be a secret way. check the manual. i never actually read it. was intuitive enuf. but the manual was kinda in depth as i remember.

18. yawiney

yawiney Member

Anyone compared the AMT to the Pigtronix Dual? I don't know if I can wait for the Source Audio but I might.

19. rsmith601

rsmith601 Vendor

The Reflex is going to ship around April 10th. We will start accepting orders next week. The first units will come from us directly.

20. yawiney

yawiney Member

Awesome. Are there any more demo vids up? Thanks.