Help! Will this Danelectro damage affect tone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by axdxm, Jan 19, 2015.

1. axdxm

axdxm Silver Supporting Member

I scored this guitar today and it did have some small damage on it. It is a late 90s U2. I will also have to replace the bridge as it has the common bending/sagging issue. At the very least it looks cool...and who doesnt like Danos?

I have included pics. You think I will be ok with this type of damage?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CobaltBlue

CobaltBlue Member

That won't affect it at all.
    Congratulations on your new Danelectro 56-U2.

3. HTSMetal

HTSMetal Member

AWESOME axe! I'm scouring far and wide for a good deal on one of those beauties as well! Enjoy it!

4. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

once again... anything done to a guitar will impact it's voice... there is no way to know if that change is an improvement, or a detriment, until you listen to it..

The gear does not know if whatever produced the sonic change was a solid gold diamond encrusted whatzit, or if a .50 cal ripped a hole through it...

If it works. it's gonna make music, it's that simple... it doesn't know if whatever has changed is ugly or pretty, cheep or expensive..

But interestingly, seems those that do know seem to think ugly can only reslut in bad tone, and cheep doesn't have a chance of producing anything worth listening to..

It's entirely possible for a pristine guitar to sound awful, and one that has had the horns ripped off with a Monkey Wrench, to sound amazing...

think about it..

Ron Krin

5. axdxm

Thanks, Ron. I guess I looked at it like it as a semi hollow and for cracks on acoustics and semihollow wood guitars, it is generally considered a huge f up. Still have to plug it in...but acoustically it sounds decent.

I did find on reverb.com a custom steel replacement bridge with compensated saddle for dirt cheap. $34.

6. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

It should be fine. You could seep some super glue in the cracks to seal it and keep it from spreading over time, but even that is optional.

7. axdxm

Thanks to all replies in this thead. I definitely feel better about it.