help wiring a strat?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by nemp, Feb 28, 2005.

1. nemp

nemp Member

I put a prewired PG with a set of Texmex PUs (SSS) on a Strat. Everthings cool but the bridge PU. It's tinny like stuck in the treble pos of a "wah wah" and the quack position sounds funny and hums. The mid and nk PU are fine.:(

2. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

How is it currently wired?

3. nemp

nemp Member

Grnd to Vol pot and vol pot to the jack? I'm not very good at this stuff.

4. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

I'm talking about a very specific desription of the wiring. You'll have to take the pickguard off to describe such things as which colored wire from which pickup goes where.

Is the bridge pickup a humbucker?

5. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

What's the height of the pickup relative to the strings? Too close to the strings and the magnets will affect how the strings vibrate.

Sounds like a phase issue more than anything else. Did you remove the pickup? The wires should exit the pickup either towards the bridge or the controls, depending on the pickup.

6. 1guitarslinger

1guitarslinger Member

Nemp...can you take the PG off and post pictures of the wiring?

7. nemp

nemp Member

Its a SSS and the PU hight is fairly low like all my Strats. Everthing was working until I screwed with the jack and grnd hookup. Where are those wires supposed to go?

8. 1guitarslinger

1guitarslinger Member

The "hot" from the jack should go to the middle leg on the volume pot. The ground wire from the jack should go to the back of one of the pots, usually the volume pot, but this does not really matter as they should all be grounded.

9. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I might some flack for this one but I had a strat that had weak tone and after resoldering everything a few times, replacing the pots & switch, adjusting the pups, and so on, over and over again, I found the problem was the tip of the jack pressing up against the body. And no, it wasn't shorting out on the shilding, the jack cavity wasn't sheilded. If I didn't know better, I'd have said the body was acting like a capacitor. Do you think candy apple red conducts electricity?

If the switch is wired to the center leg of the volume pot, wire the jack to other side, the leg that isn't grounded. Otherwise, what 1guitarslinger said.