help with a 10 watt tube amp

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by crossfiresrt6, Dec 19, 2005.

1. crossfiresrt6

crossfiresrt6 Member

can anyone suggest a real sweet speaker replacement for a class A 10 watt EPIPHONE GALAXY 10 guitar amp? I use it for recording and I want to get the best tone at lower volumes. I retubed it with an original 1960 NOS Tung-Sol 5881 brown base and an NOS Telefunken 12AX7 . These are the only tubes in the amp. It has a Celestion G10E-30 10" speaker in it right now that came stock. Any suggestions on a low watt 10" that will give me a tight bottom end and smooth mids and higher end? Maybe a Webber VST or Jensen P10R? Thanks for any and all suggestions in advance guys,
    Ed

2. samwheat

samwheat Member

I'd ask ted weber about his ceramic silver 10 ...... supposedly the same tone as a 12" silver bell (which I have and its really nice)

3. Richard Guy

Richard Guy Member

The Silver Bells that I've tried, both 10" and 12" do not have as much 'high-end' as his Blue Dog offerings. I agree with Samwheat, give Weber a call or email.

4. pm81

pm81 Member

5. crossfiresrt6

crossfiresrt6 Member

I want to say that I really appreciate your sharing the best opinions you have with me. I am going to get a Webber, the one that Ted Webber suggests for this circut, tube combo and amp. Great advice ! I would like to say that for a small true class A tube amp this little Galaxy 10 delievers a sweet tone and dynamics. I was really suprised because most Epiphone amplifiers disappointed me thru the years. I snagged this little tone box because so many good players said that it was destined to become another vintage Fender Champ amp and I have to agree. If you find the right tube combo for your own signature sound and speaker combination, this is a great low dollar all around amp. I'll get back to you once I get the Webber speaker and break it in . Thanks very much again,
    Crossfire srt6

6. apd

apd Member

Make sure the speaker will fit in the cabinet (depth). I had a Weber 10A125 that was too deep for the cabinet I was using (a David Allen 5F1 combo) so I went with a Weber ceramic Blue Pup and it worked out great!