Help with a Rickenbacker !!!

citolja

Have owned many guitars in my life, but never a
Rickenbacker..the help that i need is which pickups should I look for...toster or the dot pickups...would like to get the style Harrison played, also a Gibson player at heart....tks

monstermike

Toaster for Harrison. The dot pickups (or "high gains") are more midrangey and less chimey. I'm not a fan of the high gains, myself.

photoguy

Pretty sure that Harrison's had tosters. I've also read that the current toasters are wound hotter than the originals and no of some guys who have them unwound to get a little closer to the sound.

Lawn Jockey

Harrison's did have toasters...but the current toasters are hotter than the original vintage toasters...but a nice reproduction.

I've had both...and prefer the hi-gains myself. I simply find them more versatile. YMMV.

SGNick

Harrison's did have toasters...but the current toasters are hotter than the original vintage toasters...but a nice reproduction.

I've had both...and prefer the hi-gains myself. I simply find them more versatile. YMMV.
older toasters (90's) had 14K toasters, not very vintage toaster-y, but still nice.

the newer ones are 7.4K

Doodad

I like the high gains myself. I could nail Beatle sounds, but also crunch pretty hard. Toasters are quieter to my ear.

bmorelli

i have high gains in my 360, but they still sound good doing beatles (and just about everything else)

george4908

Silver Supporting Member
I had a set of the high gain in a 620-12 and that guitar sounded great. No shortage of jangle. They may be "higher gain" than toasters, but by the standards of a metal humbucker, they're hardly what we think of today as truly high gain. More like mid-gain, I'd say.

cmatthes

Silver Supporting Member
I prefer the toasters anyday. I've had a few High Gain RICs over the years, but like that vintage chime just a little better. Good and sloppy when pushed hard.

Doodad

I had a set of the high gain in a 620-12 and that guitar sounded great. No shortage of jangle. They may be "higher gain" than toasters, but by the standards of a metal humbucker, they're hardly what we think of today as truly high gain. More like mid-gain, I'd say.
Agreed. I put them more like a P-90.

Trending Topics