Help with a Vintage Harmony Stratotone - identify

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Denny, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Denny

Denny Member

Hi - It's a one pickup, 2 knob and a 3 position rotary-type switch. Numbers inside say 1061H47 and underneath that it says 523 MS. Any idea as to date made, worth, who used them, etc??? Who made the pickup? Is it USA made or imported? Thanks

Thanks to Rob for Donating it too!

Denny

2. J Purcell

J Purcell Member

Does it look like this?[​IMG]

3. Denny

Denny Member

IDENTICAL except for the knobs!!! Wow - that one's in great condition. Mine isn't quite that good. I'd rate it as an 8 out of 10.

D.

D.

4. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Hi Denny!

Glad it's working out! {I take that it arrived in one piece}

Joe :)

5. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Why did Rob donate it?
    For what cause/person?
    Just curious.

6. Denny

Denny Member

My Mistake - I don't know why I said Rob when It was JOE (sanhose) Doh!!!
    He donated to my wifes' elementary school's Rock & Roll chorus. They need equipment .

D.

7. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Yes it is Made in USA in Chicago IIRC.I would hesitate to estimate worth...depends somewhat on whether it is really playable and has no "hump" at the base of the neck.They are somewhat collectible ,moreso recently.Probably late 50s very early 60s is my guesstimate.The fingerboard is most likely Brazilian rosewood.Certainly were used by a fair amount of Chicago blues players.

8. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Weren't those pickups made by DeArmond?

9. Mayflower

Mayflower Supporting Member

Yes.
    Toledo, Oh.
    Awesome that Sanjose made the donation!!!!!

10. michael30

michael30 Gold Supporting Member

It's a H47, made in Chicago. There should be a date stamp somewhere inside the body that says something like F60JW F stands for first shift, S for second (evening) shift, 60 would stand for the year it was made and the JW would probably be the initials of the guy who did the final assembly and inspection.

The pickup was made by Rowe Industries in Toledo, OH which was the same company that made DeArmond pickups.

If you can't find a date stamp, have a look at the Harmony logo on the headstock. If the tail of the "y" extends below the "Stratotone" it's an early (late 50's) model, if the logo looks like the one in the picture it's an early 60's model.

There should also be a date stamp on the bottom of the pickup which should give you an idea of when the guitar was made.

These are great guitars and a clean one with original parts could go for $500.

Brian Jones used a Stratotone during the early days in the Stones (a cheaper model), while Keith had a Harmony Meteor.

Michael

11. Denny

Denny Member

I want to thank Joe (sanhozay) publicly for his donation to the Leicester (pronounced LESTER) Rock & Roll chorus Group, in Leicester, Vermont. The kids will get great pleasure in playing it. It's rare that we see people just giving from their hearts. Thanks Joe - U-DA-MAN!

Denny