Help With AC-30CCX Problem

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Kieran H, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Kieran H

Kieran H Member

hey guys,
    i'm new here but i've been reading posts on this site for ages while building up my rig and i must say seeing you guys' opinion on stuff i got was a great help. I got a gibson les paul custom ebony and i recieved my vox ac-30 cc with blue celestions yesterday. it sounds great except for one weird problem, when i play B string on the 10th fret the note is played but behind it a slight wooosh sound can be heard and sometimes a harmony of that note,this also happens on the 12th and 14th fret of the G string, so i was a bit confused about that yesterday, anyway came home from work today, warmed up the amp and the same weird noise was coming off those notes then after about 45 minutes it disappeared, needless to say i was very happy until about 15 minutes later it came back.
    now i tried my guitar through another amp so it's not the intonation. i'm completlely out of ideas so i said i'd ask ye guys for help. i've heard that the pre amp tubes are pretty ****** in the CC's, could this be the reason?
    any help with this would be so greatly appreciated, i finally have a rig i've always wanted and everything is perfect except for this little problem.
    Anyway thanks in advance
    Kieran

2. brad347

brad347 Member

probably has something to do with the speakers. Look up "cone cry" on using the search function.

3. Masco

Masco Member

Sounds like ghost notes from the power supply filtering, which is for the most part normal for AC-30s.
    Are you using the 22 or 44uF filter setting? Should have less ghosts on the 44uF setting.

4. Kieran H

Kieran H Member

i'm on 44uF filter setting.
    i talk to a few friends and the guys in the shop and they said that it's possibly the pre amp tubes, the shop are sending me down 3 new pre-amp tubes this week. hope it works

5. brad347

brad347 Member

doubtful that it's the preamp tubes. My money is on the speakers or to a lesser possibility the filtering like Masco said.

Celestions are notorious for cone cry.

6. Masco

Masco Member

No difference heard between settings? It's probably what Brad said or something else.

7. Kieran H

Kieran H Member

thanks for all the help guys, totally appreciate it. so if it is this cone cry that ye guys are talkin about, how do i fix it, or does it need to be replaced?

8. brad347

brad347 Member

I'm not the expert on this but I know weber "dopes" the edges of his speakers to prevent cone cry. Don't know if that can be done after the fact or if it would help. Of course you could just change the speakers.

Look here for more info on doping:

https://weberspeakerscom.secure.powweb.com/weber/pop-dope.htm

9. Ron

Ron Supporting Member

If doping cone doesn't work (it hasn't for me), then they have to be reconed.