Help with acoustic guitar pickup!

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by boon, May 21, 2006.

1. boon

boon Member

I just acquired a simon and pstrick sp6 from a friend but it doesn't have a pickup. Was thinking of adding the Fishman Matrix Natural pickup to it. What do you guys think? Any other options similiar to the fishman (no major holes to the guitar)?

2. royd

royd Member

Personally, I don't care for the Fishman or any other under-the-saddle pickup. I just don't like the attack. If I were you and looking in that price range, I'd go with the Baggs M1. It is a great sounding pickup at a very reasonable price that doesn't require batteries or extensive installation.

3. Steve L

Steve L Supporting Member

I have always been totally happy with my Highlander IP-2. With or without the mic (but at least you get the capability of adding it later...easily). Great tone--not too "honky" like some undersaddles.

4. radicool

radicool Member

I've heard praise for the Fishman and the Highlander, but I've never played either of them. In my Guild D40, I have the Baggs M1 that royd mentioned, and it sounds really good. I play it through a direct box into the PA, and I get the full, rich tone of the guitar at virtually any volume, with no feedback. Sometimes I use a processor, sometimes not. I also like the fact that it is easily removeable if I need to put it in another guitar.

5. boon

boon Member

M1 seems to be well received here but I don't like the look of it. Prefer the clean under saddle look. Will probably get a acoustimax/aura to go with the guitar as well

6. Den

Den Member

After much research I chose the Baggs iMix system for my Goodall and couldn't be happier with my amplified sound. I'm sure there are other great systems as well, but this turned out to be a great choice for me. My second choice would probably have been a K&K system of some sort, but since James Goodall recommends the iMix, ans so many others were happy with it, I felt confident it would work well.

7. msp

msp Member

by recomendation from a good friend who is a luthier i am opting for the baggs duel source (with the element)

i have heard recordings of/ and played around with a couple of guitars with them

i was impressed..... i have had several undersaddle types (including fishman natural and natural II)

the active element is actually a great undersaddle pickup (their is still a little quack but it is easily remedied with eq...verry warm)

considering that and the fact that its blended w/ a mic ....i'm convinced its a good choice for my martin d-35

only time will tell

8. boon

boon Member

Just did some research and the lr baggs element seems to be a very good choice.

9. boon

boon Member

KK pure western mini seems to be popular too.

10. Grun

Grun Member

It's what I got. Least intrusive, you can install it yourself (need to drill out the endpin if it's not already), doesn't muck up the bridge/saddle/top interface, no batteries and you can use the external preamp of your choice. I use a fishman platinum pro EQ. Best all around flexibility and sounds great.