help with acoustic intonation problem

tibs

Hi, I've got a problem with my ovation acoustic/electric and wondering if anyone has some ideas.
The g string on it has lost the intonation, going really flat. It's a fixed bridge, and the neck is fine as well as the other strings. I'm wondering if i add a bit of glue or something to the bridge saddle to raise it up a bit will this help? Or any other ideas? It's at the point now where it's useless for playing, and I don't have any repair shops near where I live.

RustyAxe

Hi, I've got a problem with my ovation acoustic/electric and wondering if anyone has some ideas.
The g string on it has lost the intonation, going really flat. It's a fixed bridge, and the neck is fine as well as the other strings. I'm wondering if i add a bit of glue or something to the bridge saddle to raise it up a bit will this help? Or any other ideas? It's at the point now where it's useless for playing, and I don't have any repair shops near where I live.
If nothing else changed, I'd suspect the string. When did you last change them? Have you swapped in a new one?

tibs

i changed them a while back, it was out before but seemed to get worse with the new strings. I'll try a thicker gauge this weekend to see if that helps.
Thanks for the advice guys.

drive-south

What guage of strings are you using vs what does the factory recommend. A lot of people try using extra light gauge strings which are a bad choice on most acoustics. Most guitars like light gauge strings (.012 to .054). Anything lighter than that (or heavier) will affect intonation. You can use a compensated saddle, however most of these compensate the B-string, not the G. A custom saddle could be made to compensate the G if you insist on using a non-standard string gauge.

drive-south

M

Member 995

The strings I have on now are 009 or 010's on the high e, i'll try the 12's.

If you didn't have a wound G on their before, then that would account for the intonation issues.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom