Help with AD-9 please!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thunder970, Dec 27, 2005.

1. thunder970

thunder970 Guest

I would like to say hi to everyone as I'm new here. Mrs clause got me an Ibanez AD-9 for christmas and I'm having trouble getting it dialed in. First off I read that there are trim pots inside? I'm just trying to get a good echo sound without all the repeats and stuff. I have reverb on my amp but it is too boingy for my taste. I would like to find a setting that will open things up and just leave it on all the time. Any help would be appreciated. I'm close to throwing it and Mrs clause wouldn't bring me any new toys if you get my drift:)

2. Bradders

Bradders Member

A note of caution to you Thunder . . . . .BEFORE you twiddle with any of the pots inside make sure you MARK WHERE THEY WERE EXACTLY :) so you can put them back if you screw up :)!!
    YOu will not get a whole lot of change in moving the trim pots -I will say that - especially not on the amount of delay time - you wil lbe able to get it to "meltdown" easier by messing with the repeats etc.....but not a lot more.

I would - if I had to oput my dime on it - say trade it if it doens't float yer boat as an AD-9 is an AD-9! You know....?

I have an old Ibanex ad-9 form the 80s and LOVE IT - I max teh delay time and then run the repeats and mix ( I think) at around noon 1pm.......worked out well for me.

Happy delaying.... delaying.... delayi.....

3. Madsman

Madsman Member

Just a thought, while you wait for an accurate response...

Analog delays are not like reverb. They are great for slapbacks and spacey sounds, and can work like a normal repeat, if you keep the repeats low (feedback) and slow, with low effect level. But you may be better off with a reverb pedal or something like that, if you're looking to replace a spring reverb from your amp.

Does your amp have an effects loop? If not, you're not going to like the analog delay (or any other delay) into the amp input when you have distortion on. I do (like that sound, that is) but it's not the sound you expect, when you think echo.

4. thunder970

thunder970 Guest

Thanks, I do have an effects loop but never use it. I'm just getting some ideas from people who use them and how. keep em' coming:AOK

5. Madsman

Madsman Member

You want an echo... use your effects loop. That's going to be the best way to use it cleanly for clearly defined repeats with a delay.

6. theHoss

theHoss Member

I use an AD-9 (Keeley Modded) to beef up my fuzz and overdrive. It just makes my tone bigger and spacey, move of a live type thing. I run mine as follows:

Delay Time: About 2 oclock.
    Repeats: About 11 oclock.
    Level (I have forgotten what the actual param was): Full on --Becuase it is stereo, I think you might get a vol drop if you don't?

It slaps back a bit much for clean leads, but is nice for picking through cords. But for beefing/spacifying fuzz and overdrive this what I like best.

7. thunder970

thunder970 Guest

OK, I have found the sound I was looking for. I ended up setting the Delay Time and Level at 11:00 and the repeat all the way down. I get no repeats and it has that hollow empty type sound that I was after. I'll leave it on all the time as it just makes everything sound bigger and you don't really know its there until I turn it off. then it goes dry. I can't believe I've been this long without one. just as a note. I run the level up where it gets one repeat then I back it down until I lose that one repeat and the echo stays. awesome effect:dude

8. JamesW

JamesW Member

Not much of a delay pro, but what I've read on some website are that the chip on the Maxon and the Ibanez are vastly different. The Maxon one seems more trim-tamper friendlier and can be set for longer delays of close to 500ms. The Ibanez doesn't handle that all too well.

Anyway, glad to hear others having the Keeley AD9 as well. How's it doing for you guys?