Help with Amplifire Cleans (and drives for that matter)?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by GuitaRasmus, Mar 11, 2015.

1. GuitaRasmus

GuitaRasmus Member

Hi there - I just got an Amplifire yesterday (probably the first in Europe, yay!), and I've put it through it's paces tonight with some buddies, along with my AMT preamp/torpedo cab setup and an Axe Fx II. While I was initially a bit underwhelmed by it, compared to my AMT setup, I tweaked it quite a bit, and landed on a very good crunch/drive sound, based on a Recto (strangely enough, I usually loathe rectifiers) - but with some creative use of the Graphic EQ and some unorthodox amp eq settings, it actually sounded better than my AMT setup (with a S2 (soldano) pedal).

Anyway, I'm struggling with the clean amps - they sound thin, tinny and not nearly punch or "3d" enough. Does anyone have a good preset or some tips they want to share? I love Vox sounds, and a good Fender would be appreciated as well.

Also, I'm considering ordering some aftermarket IR's - I read the ones included in the Amplifire is Ownhammer, but I think most are lacking, compared to what I'm used to with the Torpedo CAB. Does anyone have any ideas as to what Ownhammer/Redwirez cab comes closest to the Torpedo Cab "Brit VinC" (the Slash model)? Or just a really nice punchy 4x12 cab?

Any help is much appreciated. :)

2. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

How about the stock Deluxe and Twin (patches one and two)? I found the Deluxe to be one of the best I've ever played. If you want a patch that is a little more gritty edge of break up to moderate gain with the volume knob try the Plexi (patch 5 I think) or the Cornford - I think it's called Kornfield in the Amplifire. You will need to dial the gain down on the Kornfield, but it does a very good low gain tone too.

For Vox, try the Vox patch with some compression and post amp EQ

3. Gaetano Capuano

Gaetano Capuano Member

You can also dial in some additional low end in the cab parameters if you have not tried that already.

4. GuitaRasmus

GuitaRasmus Member

Thanks for the suggestions - but I've tried presets 1 and 2 (as well as the Bassman and the Vox), and they sound pretty thin to me, even with tweaking - maybe not thin, but sort of aenemic - like missing all the great punch, width and warmth of the amps. Even my POD HD sounds better??

Come to think of it, I'm missing the SAG parameter in the amp section as well - could it be that my firmware is not up to date?

5. AAEN

AAEN Member

Hi Rasmus Or Godaw(Danish Word)

Congrats on the Ampilfire. ´When did you get on waiting list? - Or did you get it from the US?

I am in DK as well

Bendt Aaen

6. Sustainerplayer

Sustainerplayer Member

Hi AAEN eller goddag.

Rasmus bought this one from the emporium from the user fritzreiser.

Regards
    Hans / Another Dane ;-)

7. madmarcus1960

madmarcus1960 Supporting Member

This proves its all in the users ears. Comparing it to my Eleven Rack w/ EpSi in the loop, POD HD and GSP1101 w/C63, Mustang III V1, this blows away any low gain sound I've gotten out of any of them right out of the box. I load my 112, 212, 412 Ownhammer Ir's into the 32 user slots and feel this has only made a good thing better.
    That's the thing with tone is it IS objective. I've had tones I've struggled with that other player thought was great. I wonder how much of the tone chase it psychological. :>)

8. randombastage

randombastage Member

One thing that might be in play is levels.
    Create your clean presets first, setting your output levels as high as needed to bring things to life and get whatever you are playing into...FRFR...amp/cab, etc set up to accommodate the settings on the AmplFire.
    Then create your dirty patches to get them up to, or down to, the same level as the clean patches.
    It seems if I make the dirty patches first then the clean ones don't make use of enough 'headroom' before reaching a level balance with the dirty ones. I know 'headroom' doesn't apply but I can't think of another word to describe the phenomenon....

Short answer:
    Make a clean patch loud and bold with ALL the gear in the chain, not just the AmpliFire.
    Then use it as a reference to make the dirty ones stay within that maximum volume.

9. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

So OP - are you sure you haven't disabled the cabinets globally? That would be my guess or I would question what you are listing to this through. Plenty of low end, thump, and grunt. I particularly notice the difference in the low mids and lows with the IRs versus the other modeling units you mention.
    I hate to say "user error" but if you think this sounds thin, something is setup wrong. That may be the case, especially if you got this unit second hand. Anyway to do a factory reset?

10. mralmostpopular

mralmostpopular Member

They sounded a bit thinner than my tastes at first. I changed to different IRs, and I boosted the cab bottom a little. Those cab settings really make a difference.

11. BCy2k

BCy2k Member

Also, play with the amp damping in the amp block. Between that, the rest of the amp parameters, and the Cab block parameters, you should be able to get pretty darn close to what you're looking for. This is before you even touch the pre filter, graphic EQ, and the other THREE filters available. If all else fails, there's always these latter 5 blocks.

I was running my AF into my Alesis Alpha 112s for the 1st time at a rehearsal last night. I wasn't entirely satisfied with my clean tones either. I was using the US Clean model, and I don't particularly care for Fender amps in the first place - which is partially how I can tell their models are pretty darn accurate. :p

I switched to the Top Boost model and had a vastly better clean sound (to my ears) dialed up in record time. The Vox model seems to break up pretty early, but if you just dial the gain back and compensate with the master, well that did the trick for me. I'd spent a fair amount of time trying to coax my idea of good cleans out of the US Clean model, but the Top Boost model really hit the mark for me, and did so easily. YMMV

12. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I'm not a huge fan of the factory IRs. I've been going through a bunch of free IRs and have found a number that I prefer. I'll try to get some zip files posted this weekend.

I also have the Redwirez Big Box set but haven't gotten to those yet.

13. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

I'm curious whether this is just subconscious bias against stock IRs? The ones that come loaded on the AmpliFIRE are Ownhammer and they're tailored to the amps being modeled. Hard to see how these wouldn't already be pretty great..

14. dank

dank Consummate Beatles Fan Supporting Member

+1.

15. aleclee

I don't think so. There are only a handful that I've found I like better. I think it has to do more with the personal nature of what constitutes good tone. Where a product manager like Tom is probably be looking for something that is representative of the respective amps, I'm just looking for something that tickles my ear in the right way. I'm not really much of one for nailing benchmark tones. I have certain timbres I chase and the usual recipes often don't offer what I seek.

16. Justin Thyme

Justin Thyme Member

Very good and honest analysis and I had the same result. Found the cleans to be very brittle even with a lot of tweaking. Could not get any vibe or mojo happening on the clean tones. My least favorite clean of any modeller. I understand that tone is subjective and a lot of people like the cleans on the AmpliFIRE, but it wasn't for me. And without question, it has the worst TUNER of any modeller I have personally ever come across. I can't imagine anyone using that tuner with good results.

17. aleclee

For Fender models, try the Two Rock IRs or Jay's Fender IR shared in this thread.