Help with an AC30 HW Combo

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by hdiddy, Feb 28, 2006.

1. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

I have an AC30 HW combo; the tremelo goes off every time I increase the volume, not the master, past 12:00; After this occurs the footswitch does not work properly and the tremelo turns off the reverb and you have to step on the reverb switch to get it turned off.
    COuld this be a problem with the Tremelo tube? Which slot is that?
    Thanks
    HOward

2. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

Pull out the footswitch and see what happens. You need to isolate the problem a bit more.

3. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

Same thing happens when the footswitch is out. When below 12 it is sometimes working then stops. I tried to put on standby then turn on and this does not work; I have to shut the amp completely down to get it on again.

BTW what is your tube preference
    Thanks

4. fullerplast

Try swapping out V2, that's where your trem oscillator is on that amp. Don't worry too much about about particular tube brand in that slot. Put your best tubes in V1 and V5 for that amp, IMHO. Mullards if you got 'em. EI's sound good in a Vox if you can find some good ones.

5. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

Got it working after I took out of the cabinet, tube seemed fine, but replaced it any how. I wiggled the V4 tube and the tremelo started to work, tested it for a couple of hours, no problem. Put it back in the cabinet and guess what does not work :mad:

Could it be a ground issue with the chasis and the screws or could that loose socket in V4 cause an interuption in the circuit?

HELP

6. brad347

brad347 Member

7. fullerplast

V4 is strictly reverb recovery for that amp (both halves in parallel). There is no association with the tremelo. When you had it out of the cab, did you have the reverb tank connected?

Look around carefully for a loose connection or bad solder joint, maybe the ground connections on the back of the pots.

8. BozoTone

BozoTone Member

This is sounding (no pun intended) like a connection problem...wire, solder point, etc...did you have the "amp" in the same posistion, tubes down, when you had it out of the cab testing it?
    BZT

9. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

The reverb was connected and everything worked, including the foot switch

The chasis was out and the tubes were in the "up" position vs. the "down" position in the cabinet. I am sure that it is a connection problem; I will look at the pots and try to poke around when the chasis is in the cabinet

Thanks
    Howard