Help With Annoying Pop Up Ads!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Stringmaster, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

I'm getting annoyed--pretty much no matter what I search for on the net, I get related ads popping up everywhere. For example I was researching some work boots--I now get emails, ebay suggestions, ads on my browser, and on my Facebook page, etc regarding work boots--this happens on both my computer running Windows 8, As well as my iPad. I'm not very computer savvy, but would love some tips on how to cut this off--no dang privacy!
    Thanks

2. DYNA BILL

DYNA BILL Member

I use Adblock Plus.

3. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

4. Stringmaster

Stringmaster Gold Supporting Member

Are those apps, downloads, or otherwise? How do I add them? Load them both on my Windows computer and iPad?
    Thanks again

5. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Same. It does wonders.

6. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

Pop-up ads are different than targeted advertisements appearing within a Web page. You may have a malware problem on your PC (iOS doesn't currently suffer from such infections). In addition to installing AdBlock, be sure your antivirus program is up to date.

7. wyatt

wyatt Member

All the ads on the browser, Facebook etc. based on recent searches are targeted ads...that's the prime business model of Google Ads, Facebook ads, etc. They track your srearches and hots through the web and use that data to target ads toward you.

Turning off cookies doesn't help anymore, they track via your current IP address. For example if someone searches for items from an office computer sharing an IP address with others..everyone on that branch of the network will get your targeted ads

Adblock Plus doesn't stop that, it just hides the ads from you...but they are still there. In laptop browsers, you can use add-ons like Ghostery to reduce the tracking...but there is little to protect you on an iPhone, iPad, etc.

As noted pop-up ads on the desktop could be a sign of malware.

8. dingdongditch

dingdongditch Member

Ghostery is another must have, imho.