Help with Caps and or tone control value

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by JUS1BEER, Mar 17, 2008.

1. JUS1BEER

JUS1BEER Member

I need advice from all you guitar electronic wizards. My question is 2 parts, and I am open to advice. I have a PRs Cu24, 1995 bought new. I have modified to three way toggle switch no pick up splitting straight forward 1-volume, 1-tone, 2-humbuckers. I have tried three or four different brands PUPs, Hrmonic designs, Gibson and I have a WCR in there now. My tone is not crazy bright but I want to smoth it out a little. This is a bright guitar. I was thinking of going to a 300k tone pot to tame the highs on my bridge pup a little. Does anyone have any experience with this and how much does it affect the highs? I am going to keep the 500k volume pot. I am running with a .047 cap and it is still too bright for me, the neck pup is getting a little too dark and I was thinking of changing tone pots and lowering the cap value down to either .022 or .015 if 300k pot is too dark for the neck pup.

I have tried different cap values and have wired the electronics about three different ways and too my ears the bridge is still too bright. I have not tried the Bumble bee caps and have no experience as to how much they might warm up the tone. I do know that you can add a resistor to the tone pot and change the value, I might try that route but I have to buy a new tone pot anyway because I think I might have a linear one in there, I can back the tone down and it has no affect until about 4 on the knob.

Another option might be to keep going up in value on the Caps until I get the bridge pup sounding good to my ears and then either take the neck pup out of the tone control and wire direct. If that is doable with the one volume one tone set up??? Is it possiable to add a cap in line from the pick up leads before the toggle switch??

Sorry about the long post any input is appreciated, thanks.

2. JUS1BEER

JUS1BEER Member

I think I found a way... I found a A500k push pull pot in my tool box, I am not sure if it is audio or linear but should work. I will use a resistor on the two outside legs of the appropriate tone pot to get the POT value down from around 500K to around 300K maybe higher. and use whatever Cap that sounds good for my bridge pup. For my neck pup I will engage the push pull and it should have the Pot back to the original 500k value and I will use what ever Cap maybe .015 for the neck pup. Hummm...will this work? I remember reading somewhere that a guy used a 750K resistor on a 500K tone pot and had it reading 300K, that may be a start.

I need to find that artical, does a higher value resistor add more highs when used with a POT or is it the other way around? I think this will work.:cool:

3. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

You could try a .022 cap and a 250K pot for the tone. It will cut some of the highs. Maybe just the right amount for you.

4. JUS1BEER

JUS1BEER Member

You could try a .022 cap and a 250K pot for the tone. It will cut some of the highs. Maybe just the right amount for you.

I thought about that but my neck pup may be too dark. I was looking on a web page for POTs and I found a tone control with stackable (2) pots a 250k/500k on one control. That may be the answer, I would have to get a new knob, one that has two controls but thats ok. They had a gold one that looked ok. The ideal double POT would be one that was 300k/500k but I have not found one. Thanks

5. Hart Bypass

Hart Bypass Member

I think I would use the 500K pot, and change the cap to a .047 or a .050. It should darken it a bit without making it too dark.