Help with chasis installation

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by kdixon1029, Jan 24, 2006.

1. kdixon1029

kdixon1029 Member

Couple of questions about chasis' (if thats correct :)
    I have a tremoverb combo and some of the foil above the chasis was worn off durring sanding the cab for recover. Can I replace and or touch up these areas with regular foil?

Also I believe I may have been getting some "motorboating" noises because the chasis was touching the foil. If I lower the chasis a little with the mounting screws there is a slight gap in the fromt and back from the cabinet to the chasis. Do I need to get a rubber sealer to put around the chasis to keep dirt and debris out?

thanks for the advice
    Kevin

2. bob-i

bob-i Member

I don't know the tremoverb well, but I'd just replace the foil. If you choose to leave the gap I'd use a washer or some spacer so that it's tight and there's no vibrations. The dust and debris won't harm the amp.

3. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

Dust & debris might not harm your amp, but it'll wreak havoc eventually on your pots, switches, and tube sockets. A rubber gasket around the perimeter of the chassis sounds like a good idea to me.

--chiba

4. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

The chassis is supposed to touch the foil, how else is it going to act a ground if it isn't connected to the ground?

5. TubeAmpNut

TubeAmpNut Member

The foil is for EMI shielding, it has nothing to do with grounding. You can patch it with some copper sticky tape from Stewart Macdonald.

BK

6. kdixon1029

kdixon1029 Member

Thanks guys,

I've heard that you need to screw it all the way up till it touches and now I'm hearing its ok to leave a little gap (with rubber gasket). I think I'll wait till I'm finished recovering and try it both ways and see if I still have any problems with the motorboating sound.

Thanks again.