Help with choosing a Distortion/Overdrive Pedal??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by rockabillymike, Nov 20, 2005.

1. First off I would like to welocome myself on here as this is my first post. Found out about this forum via a very esoteric coworker.

Anyway I need some suggestions as far as some recomondations for a new overdrive/distortion.

Heres the deal: I currently am a singer/songwriter guitarist in an all original Alternative rock band. I play various Gretsch guitars through a 1961 Fender Bandmaster with matching 2x12 piggy back cab. Currently for overdrive I am using a fulltone fulldrive II. I really like the pedal alot but for what the band is doing I want to find something else out there that will give me a huge bottom end style distortion remeniscent of "Blue album Weezer distortion". I was wondering if anyone could suggest a boutique style true bypass pedal that would get me close to that? I did try a Pedal worx dirty angle figuring that would be ballsy saturated overdrive. It was o.k. but itwas a little to buzzy sounding with my rig. So any help with the suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Rockabilly mike.

2. oxtone

oxtone Member

rockabillymike,

Have you tried the Radial Tonebone Classic Tube distortion pedal? I use one all the time with my Boogie Studio preamp/Boogie Simul 2:90 rig, and it sounds great, like a good tube amp. It cleans up with a turn of your guitar volume.

Radial also has a "Hot British" Tube distortion pedal for more Marshall type tones, and a bigger overdrive.

3. derek_32999

derek_32999 Member

GOT TO PAGE 3.... POD's galore LOL :) set to british hi gain amp.

4. basscracker

basscracker Guest

5. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

Hey man, I originally a Masshole as well from Andover, MA. Moved out here to L.A. just under 2 years ago. ( Im a singer/songwriter/guitar player)

The Fulltone OCD is the best sounding overdrive pedal out there to me. Hands down. Ive owned TONS of them and this one is the most organic, natural sound I have found. Im gonna buy a second one actually. Check it out if you have not yet. I havent even look for another OD pedal since I bought it.

6. AL30

AL30 Member

Big Muff.

NY re-issue or there are a few boutique clones out there that are supposed to be very nice. I don't know much about boutique pedals so somebody chime in on the Big Muff clone please.

AL

7. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

+1 on the tonebone classic, does an excellent mesa-boogie type distortion and sounds great for weezer rhythm parts

actually, for superior performance, I highly recommend the tonebone tri-mode. Will do perfect to give you that extra oomph for weezers lead parts

http://www.tonebone.com/tbone-trimode.htm

8. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Will the Tonebone's operate at 18V or must you use their power supply?

9. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

You need to use the supplied power adapter with the Tonebone, I've used the TB Classic for a couple of years but just picked up the Trimode.......... If you need versatility this has it in spades!

10. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

11. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

Thanks man. :)

12. Matt_Scogo

Matt_Scogo Senior Member

Well distortion and overdrive are two different effects. A MAxon SD-9 modded by Analogman is going on E-bay and ending soon. I'd scoop it up, buts mine. If you want thrash---metal Boss MT-2.

Overdrive... I'll let somebody else handle that!
    Good Luck,
    MW

13. Garygtr

Garygtr Almost as good! Silver Supporting Member

The Emma Reezafratzitz should give you what you need...:cool:

14. Luke V

Luke V Member

I love the Tim overdrive. Definitely not a distortion pedal, but lots of great tones in there. Been using a ts-9 for 20 years, the Tim has earned a permanant place on my pedalboard.