Help with choosing new amp!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jhansenku, Mar 6, 2008.

1. jhansenku

jhansenku Supporting Member

I am about to pull my hair out trying to decide on my next amp purchase. I play a Tele Plus and a PRS Tremonti guitar. My last band I was in I played a Mesa Rectoverb Combo, then bought a Mesa Rectoverb Head with 4x12 Rectifier Cabinet. Liked the Head and cab better. Anyway, getting back into playing live with the boys and at age 41!! We play cover music from Collective Soul, Nickelback, Cross Canadian Ragweed, Green Day, 3 Doors Down, Foo Fighters etc... Not metal by any means but not just classic 70's Rock either. So... which amp do I get. I have researched, Mesa Roadster, Mesa Express, Bogner Shiva, Suhr Badger, Line 6 SV 112, Diezel (too much$$) Suhr Custom Audio Electronics OD-50. Also prefer a head and small 1x12 cab or 2x12 cab. Haven't had a chance to play any of these because not many dealers here in Kansas! Have played the Line 6 SV 112 (it's ok I guess) doesn't really blow me away. So mainly listening to clips on internet and youtube videos. The amp I really am impressed with is the Suhr Badger!! Wow, that Peter Thorn video is awesome. But I have to remember, I am not Peter Thorn. What a great player! I think he helps that amp sound fantastic. I love the size of the amp, the Powerscaling feature and just the all around sound of it. But, I am worried it may not have enough gain for the heavier stuff we do. Also would prefer to switch from cleans to high gain on the footswitch.?? If I end of getting the Badger I will probably get the head and the matching Suhr 1x12 cab. Anyone have this setup? Well, that's my story!

2. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

I own a Rectoverb head and a VHT 4x12 w/Vintage 30s and it works well for my rock cover gigs. What is it that you don't like about it?

3. jhansenku

Oh, I really didn't dislike it, I just sold it a couple years ago and I need to get a new amp. That is one of my options i am considering. Although I am going for small, so I definatey do not want a 4x12 cab. prefer a 1x12.
    Rectoverb head was a cool head, sometimes I thought the high gain sounded little more harsh than I like it. Cleans were fantastic. A ran the Vintage setting for my gain channel, Modern was too much for me.

4. shredtrash

Cool. I have a Savage Macht 12x and an Alpha & Omega David (30 watts pentode/18 watts triode) that do well with the rock stuff when I use my Java Boost. I understand about the Rectoverb's high gain sound being a bit much for some things. I would consider the Java Boost to push your preamp if you want some gain for heavier things. Other than that, any of those types of amps (Suhr Badger, etc.) should get you there. All of those amps are pretty good when you get into that price range. Good luck!

5. jhansenku

I've never heard of the Java Boost but will check it out! Someone told me to check out the Lovepedal Eternity pedal. Is this the same concept as the Java Boost? I really am leaning more towards the Suhr Badger. I also play in a praise and worship band a few times a month and I am always getting " Can you turn your amp down" line!! Powerscaling would be great in that situation. We all use in ears monitoring in the P&W band and also in my Rock gig, so, I do not need a 100 watt head by any means!!

6. shredtrash

I would get something you could push relatively easily. The Badger is 18 watts right? If so, that's about the max I would go wattage wise considering your stage setup and volume issues. 18 watts is pretty loud if you are uninitiated. Then you could use a Java Boost to take it over the top. I've heard of the Lovepedal but I'm not sure if it does the same thing. The Java Boost only works if you're pushing the amp a bit.