Help With Choosing Pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by karaterick, Mar 11, 2015.

1. karaterick

karaterick Member

I would really appreciate some input into selecting an aftermarket set of pickups for my Agile AL-3210.

I Currently have 3 guitars; an Agile AL-3010 with Seymour Duncan Distortion/59' combo, a Dean 35th Anniversary Z (Explorer) with Dimarzio Super Distortion in the neck and bridge and the AL-3200 stock.

I play everything from Blues to 90s Metal and just about everything in between. I feel that my first two guitars cover the heavier stuff so I want my AL3200 to have a different flavor.
    That being said I'd still like it to be versatile enough to cover everything I do.

I'm currently considering:
    Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates
    Seymour Duncan Seth Lovers
    Dimarzio 36th Anniversary PAFs
    Suhr Doug Aldrich

I would love any suggestion, opinions advice. Even if you're just telling me what your do based on your personal tastes. I find just about any feedback helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  2. karaterick

karaterick Member

Any constructive input would help...

3. Frungi

Frungi Member

When I was venturing into exchanging the pickups, I went for 2 sets of Toneriders (Alnico II and IV in my case) to compare. You can get them for a bargain and resell the set you don't need without much loss.

I could not compare myself, but have read opinions that the hold up very very well against the big brands. I'm happy with mine.

4. rummy

rummy Member

If you play metal, stay away from Seth Lovers. They're not wax potted, and they'll squeak with volume and distortion. You could wax pot them yourself, like I did.

5. jzgtrguy

jzgtrguy Member

The pups you list are all in the Vintage PAF zip code. You might also consider:

Harmonic Design I just ordered a Z90 for the neck and a Double Black for my Les Paul. I'll let you know how that turns out.

You might also consider. Jason Lollar Imperials and Imperial low winds.

Raw Vintage Pickups.

Good luck.

6. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I don't have experience w/ those you mention but Lollar Imperials will provide a very different sound and are great for everything but the heavy stuff.

The DiMarzios have a very good rep and would seem to fit. And they don't cost much.

7. karaterick

karaterick Member

I like the sound of the Lollar Imperials and the Raw Vintage based on the clips I've heard.
    I'm on pretty tight budget and a little nervous about experimenting too much though.

8. gulliver

gulliver Member

I really like hot PAFs to cover the largest range. I have Voodoo humbuckers in two strats, but they are low output and a little too transparent for the heavier stuff. The Suhr SSV is the best I've found for a hot PAF, but it never made it out of my strat and into other guitars to test ... once it was in, it stayed. After testing many, I now stay away from distortion type pickups, they have no feel.

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I like the Seth Lover and Antiquity pickups from SD.

10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I like the Seth Lover in a semi-hollow for jazzy and rockabilly style tones but it doesn't really work well with high gain.

The SD Jazz is another favorite of mine for its versatility. It pairs well with JB and Pearly Gates but also can hold it's own decently with higher output HBs and can help smooth out the rough edges.

Of course, the Agile AL-3210 you want to put new pickups in has Alnico V pickups already. Is there anything in particular you're finding lacking with them?

11. Kashmir Oceania

Kashmir Oceania Supporting Member

Of the ones you suggested I go with the DiMarzios. They'll be able to go the clean and heavy tones and cost less the the rest.

12. forum_crawler

forum_crawler Member

I would throw the Bareknuckle warpigs, EMG 57/66, Seymour Duncan Blackouts.
    For something less hot I would suggest the SD Alnico Pro II

13. Phletch

Phletch Member

I second that. I've got two neck model 36ths in my Epi Dot, and they sound and feel wonderful whether I'm playing pristine clean jazz or singing sustain OD leads and anything in between. If you're on a budget (or even if you're not) you can't go wrong with the 36ths in the low output PAF department.

14. karaterick

karaterick Member

Thanks for all of the replies.
    I know there are lots of great pickups not on my list but eventually you just have to narrow it down. There are a lot of great pickups I'm not even familiar with.
    I'm only going to be able to afford anything right now because I have an upcoming birthday so I'm a bit leery of trying something I don't know much about.
    There are several small companies I'm intrigued by but I'm not sure I want to take the gamble. Plus resale would be harder if I don't like them
    I've heard Sigil and Raw Vintage clips I really liked among several others.
    Right now I think I'm leaning towards the Dimarzio 36th Anniversary set though.

15. coldengray

coldengray Supporting Member

I can't say enough good things about the OX4s I have. I took a chance on a recommendation and LOVE them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. karaterick

karaterick Member

The stock pups I'm the Agile aren't bad per say. I think they are certainly better than stock Epi as well many other imports.
    They just don't have the character and dynamics I'm looking for. I want something a little raw. Something that has some snarl without being over the top heavy. Something that responds to my playing and let's me change my style and tone through my amp.
    Not sure if that makes sense.

17. beckerman

beckerman Member

You can't miss with a Pearly Gates set in an LP or if you want a hotter bridge then the Duncan Custom Custom model pairs very well with Pearly Gates neck.

18. archey

archey Member

Dimarzio 36th anniversary all day long. They are great frickin pickups!

19. AJ6stringsting

AJ6stringsting Member

I've been playing 36 years on the guitar, I have a box full of Dimarzio. Seymour Duncans, Bare Knuckle, Carvin, Bill Lawrence's ( mid 70's to early 80's), Tone Riders, GFS, Dragonfire and EMG pickups.
    Just when you think you love a certain tone from a pickup, your taste changes and you're out hunting new pickups .... sometimes , we go back full circle.
    My Woman found my box of pickups and she was saying, " Damn, you're a serious pickup horder !".