Help with correct order of running Effect pedals

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by sniffyduke, Aug 15, 2008.

1. sniffyduke

sniffyduke Member

Hi,

What is the correct order of running my effect pedals from my guitar head (Matchless Clubman)

This is what I have.

1. Fulltone OCD
    2.Danelectro tremelo
    3.Boss Delay
    4.Boss Tuner (Stomp Box White)

2nd question, Can I run 2 ODs my second overdrive is a Ohh Lala Brownsound

2. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

There are tons and tons of threads about this on TGP -- do a search if you want more detailed info. But in short: TU-2 > OCD > Tremolo > Delay ... OR, you could try: TU2 > OCD > delay > tremolo ...

Also lots of very detailed info on pedal order online - just google it.

3. creamedcorn

creamedcorn Member

Rule of thumb: boost & distortion effects first, time based effects last.

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    There's no "correct" order, but in general delays should be toward end of the chain and OD/Distortions toward the front. I makes more sense to delay/echo your total guitar sound (including OD/distortion) than to distort your delayed/echoed sound...but there are always exceptions for "special" effects type sounds.

You can use as many ODs/distortions as you like...even simultaneously. Try them in different orders to see which combination sounds best to you.

5. mitch236

mitch236 Member

You may also want your OD's before the preamp and your effects (delay, reverb, chorus etc...) in the loop. This is not written in stone however but is a good starting point.

6. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

If you have an effects loop, that is exactly the way to do it. Some may like the dirty smear of overdriven delay/slapback into an averdriven amp input ala Brian Setzer. It works for that type of tone, but, in general, time-based effects always sound sweeter post preamp. I also think that EQ pedals are much more effective early in the post-gain effects loop chain. Special effects can be derived from unorthodox fx routing, but for general multi-purpose use this has always worked best for me.

Basically just always think of what you are going for and ask yourself if, for example, you want to delay the chorus, or chorus the delay. Placing a volume pedal before a delay or verb allows one to swell the notes in and out while still allowing the effects to decay naturally.

Personally, I always place verb last in the chain, as it's simulating the sound of your tone in a larger room. In the physical world, the reflections of the room are the last thing you would hear, that's what I am emulating.

When I was using a 4 cable method pedalboard setup, the best results I got were:

Guitar
    Compressor
    OD1
    OD2
    Volume Pedal
    Amp input
    Amp Send
    Clean Boost
    Chorus Pedal
    Trem Pedal
    Delay
    Reverb
    Amp Return

7. Heinz57

Heinz57 Supporting Member

If that were my set up I would run it like this.
    Guitar -> Tuner -> OCD -> Delay -> Trem ->.
    Anyone else?