Help with Fender serial #

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Canon, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Canon

Canon Supporting Member

I am trying to find the date of manufacture for a Fender P bass special. Lake Placid blue, Hipshot tuner, active pickups, serial# E 010297. I was thinking it was 79-81, but I can't tell, thanks in advance.

2. John C

John C Supporting Member

We would need some photos - there were a couple of different things out then. There was a P-Bass that was basically a bass version of "The STRAT" with gold hardware and odd electronics - is this one of them? If so, they were made from roughly 1980-1982 or early 1983.

There was also an MIJ model that was made from 1985-1987 or so that had active EMG-looking pickups. Those could also have serial numbers that start with an "E", but the numbers after the "E" are just random and the "E" dates it to roughly 1984-1987. These had black finished necks but should say "Made in Japan" on them somewhere.

3. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Pics?
    I'm not aware of a P Bass Special from the Late 70s/Early 80s era. Is the headstock logo say "Special?" It may be a 1980ish neck on a newer body.
    Confirm the age by the parts: pull the neck, look at the stamp on the heel, look at the electronics for pot codes, etc... Look in the body routes for date stamps or stickers.

4. bigtone23

bigtone23 Member

Just saw this, from 1980.
    [​IMG]

5. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

Yes - that's the one. Available in Candy Apple Red, Lake Placid Blue and Arctic White, with a few made in Walnut. Heavy beasts, but one of my dream basses as a kid!

6. John C

John C Supporting Member

That's the one I was thinking of - it was essentially the bass version of "The STRAT":

[​IMG]

7. qblue

qblue Member

I just put the serial number in the Fender filter for MIA guitars, on www.theguitardaterproject.org and this is what spit out:

Your guitar was made at the
    Fullerton Plant (Fender - CBS Era), USA
    in the Year(s): 1979 - 1981

Thank me later.