Help with finishing a fretboard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Dan40, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Dan40

Dan40 Supporting Member

I am in the process of refretting a maple Allparts neck, and I plan to use CA glue after the frets are pressed in. I would like to use a bit of Johnson's paste wax (silicone free I believe) around the frets to aid in the removal of any excess glue. Will this wax cause any problems for me when I go to spray the nitro lacquer next week? I plan to wipe it down thoroughly with Naptha beforehand but I'm insure if the use of the wax will cause any bonding issues.

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Yes it will. I usually put the glue (thick version) on the fret tang and press it in. It runs into the slot well if you do it after fretting, but definitely can get out onto the board also. You'd be better off nitro-ing over the glue than the wax.

3. Dan40

Dan40 Supporting Member

Thank you for the heads up! I was worried that it could cause some problems so I figured it would be best to check here first.

4. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

If you glue after fretting:
    -be sure to tape off the back of the neck well. When Iso glue gets on it.... it ruins the finish.
    -The glue will often run right thru and out the other edge! Use it minimally.
    -The thinner the glue, the more it runs everywhere.

Dan40 likes this.