Help with fret buzz/neck problems after shipping

steinny

I just received a used high-end archtop that was shipped to me on the West Coast from Chicago. It has very significant buzzing on both E strings, but strangely the buzzing is located in different areas--on the low E the buzzing is concentrated in the middle of the neck, but the high E buzzes so badly it barely sounds in the open position but gets better higher up in the neck. Raising the action didn't really help the problem at all.

Also, the frets stick out very significantly on the treble side (i.e., if you run your fingers along the treble side you catch the edge of the frets). The guitar is a custom instrument by a well-known luthier whose guitars I have played before so I doubt this is a result of shoddy workmanship or poor setup.

I wonder if both problems are a result of the frets getting unseated due to contraction in the neck due to the climate change, or whether it's a combination of the neck shrinking and/or warping and frets popping out.

The seller--whom I find very credible--says he didn't experience any of this, so it seems likely it developed in shipping. I'm taking it to a reputable tech to have it checked out but I;m curious to hear people's thoughts on what what might be causing this and if there's an easy fix...(i.e. neck relief adjustment and a little fret hammering...)

Thanks!

blong

Silver Supporting Member
I am willing to bet the high E nut slot is cut too low. This typically results in fretting out on open notes (string hits the first fret), but not at higher frets.

Buzz in the middle of the neck can either be a high fret somewhere or a little back bow.

All of these problems could exist at the same time. It could also be a twisted neck, which is a major problem. A good tech should be able to correct most of this.

Warning though: not all people who work on guitars are good techs. Find someone with an outstanding reputation and who asks you lots of questions when you bring the guitar in.

Bob

blong

Silver Supporting Member
The frets sticking out is called fret sprout. It also occurs with a guitar drying out. So it could all be due to climate change due to shipping. Get it looked at by a tech. Then, decide if it's a keeper or not.

Good luck. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. You are welcome to look me up or PM me and I can get you my phone #. I can walk you through how to check it yourself prior to taking it to a good tech.

Bob

Trending Topics