Help with ground noise - Voodoo Labs + Crybaby Cantrell

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sdahe, May 29, 2015.

1. sdahe

sdahe Member

Hello,

I just got a used Crybaby JC95 Jerry Cantrell wah and I'm getting a loud ground noise when it's in the pedal board. I take it out and use it outside the pedal board and it's gone. take out the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Plus 2 out the pedal board and bring the wah back and it's gone too. I put the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Plus 2 and the Crybaby in the pedal board and the noise comes back. The crybaby doesn't like the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Plus 2.. or what?... Anyone had this problem?.. need help

2. stilwel

stilwel Member

Wah pedals have inductors which can sometimes act like a radio antenna.
    Power supplies have transformers which can sometimes act like radio transmitters.
    General rule, keep the wah as far away from the power supply as possible.

randalp3000 likes this.
  3. sdahe

sdahe Member

I guess I'll have to get rid of the Voodoo Lab Pedal Power Plus 2 and use a Daisy Chain

4. OilsFan

OilsFan Supporting Member

That seems extreme. Are you putting the Wah directly over the PP2+? Try moving them farther away first.

5. sdahe

sdahe Member

No.. look!!!

[​IMG]

6. OilsFan

OK if you're getting noise in that situation you might make sure the Pedaltrain isn't acting like a conductor to cause a ground loop.

7. sdahe

sdahe Member

How can I do that?

8. OilsFan

Try putting a sheet of card board under one or both of the units while they are still on the Pedal Train. Make sure the connectors to the Wah aren't touching the Pedal Train either. Does the noise go away?

9. sdahe

sdahe Member

A little bit...

10. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

This definitely sounds like EMI (electromagnetic interference). Try different positions for the power supply - sometimes, even rotating the power supply a littie bit will make a big difference. Also, make sure to move the power cables around to see if that helps.

The Pedaltrains come with brackets for mounting a PP2+ underneath the top left corner - see if that helps as well.

11. GibsonMarshallguy41

GibsonMarshallguy41 Member

I'm getting similar problems with my newly modded Crybaby. static-y hiss in the toe down position, and on an occasion, a very loud, zapping noise when the wah is on, but my foot is not resting on it. really weird. and I also use the Voodoo Lab PP2+ as well.

after doing some research, it seems like there are other people experiencing the very same problem. it may very well have to do with the wah being too close to the power supply. I will try moving it around later on to see if that helps.

12. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

My wah sometimes gets noisy being a little close to my PP2+ but not enough to make me go rearrange my whole board. I think it depends on the electrical quality of the room?

13. randalp3000

randalp3000 Member

I have one wah that does not hum. It's one that I changed the inductor in and it sits up instead of laying flat.