Help with Jimmy Bruno's 5 shapes...

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by countandduke, Jan 26, 2008.

1. countandduke

countandduke Member

I have been going through his five shapes and need some help. I want to color coordinate the five shapes because they will always appear in the same order. I figure making colors and then a corresponding phrase would help remember them. Like notes on the staff are Every Good Boy Does Fine.

So, my colors are
    G for green
    B for blue
    P for pink
    O for orange
    R for Red.

Something like Good Boys Only Pick Right...but better... :)

Thanks,

Chris

Appropriate for 10 year olds too..

2. countandduke

countandduke Member

So far, I have...

Only
    Rich
    People
    Buy
    Guitars

Chris

3. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

You'd have to post the 5 shapes here first. Then we'll cooperatively be able to do this

4. countandduke

countandduke Member

The 5 shapes really don't have anything to do with the colors and vice versa. Just looking for a phrase using the first letter of each color.

Thanks.

Chris

PS It's basically shapes based on the 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th notes of the scale.

5. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

It seems like it would just be easier to remember "2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th and 7th." The five shapes always appear in the same order over all, but because of the fretboard length, the first position you can play for the key you're in will always be different. Example: For the key of G, the first position starts on the 7th, so the order of the positions will be 7th,2nd, 3rd, 5th, 6th.

That's probably clear as mud! :)

6. Swain

Swain Member

Are the 5 shapes, the CAGED shapes? If so, I'd go with CAGED, as opposed to numbering the shapes. It's already been done, and there's a LOT of reference materials out there already.

And, I'd start with just 1 shape. Get familiar using the 1 shape in different positions, over different chords. Then, when the shape is under your fingers, and you can really hear what the intervals of that shape sound like, learn a 2nd. shape.

Trying to "learn" all 5 at once, seems like the longer, harder road. Once you have the first shape ingrained, your ears should help to really nail the other 4 shapes, much quicker.

But, that may be counter to Mr. Bruno's concepts. I don't know.

7. countandduke

countandduke Member

I'll have to give some thought to the CAGED idea as that certainly would be a great choice. Turns out, he is selling a poster that has the five shapes in color!!! I think there actually has been some correlation to the CAGED system but from what I remember this is a different process.

Thanks for the input guys...

Chris

PS Now how about some phrases using the first letter of those colors, or should I start making lightbulb jokes??? :roll

8. Ed DeGenaro

Ed DeGenaro Supporting Member

Yeah, it's the typical fives shapes of major thing...
    3 position shape (G mixo form), 5th position (A aeolian form), 8th position (C major form), 10th position (D dorian form), 12th postion (E phrygian form).