Help with KR Gypsy Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DreamTheaterRules, Feb 19, 2008.

1. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

I have wanted a KR Gypsy Fuzz for a while. I am a big Hendrix fan and Band Of Gypsys is one of the all time greatest guitar albums. This pedal is supposed to be the holy grail of Jimi tone.

I got one yesterday that I can try for a few days before shipping it off to it's owner. I plugged my strat (50th Anniversary American Deluxe) into the Gypsy and straight into the amp. (Peavey classic 30 with JJs, and an Eminence Governor). NO other pedals. I tried it with the clean channel, and the OD channel. I messed with the knobs a bit on the pedal. Tried everywhere from 12:00 to all the way up on both level and gain.

In short, I was expecting to be blown away, and I wasn't. It sounded good, but not great. Admittedly, I didn't have a lot of time last night. And, I didn't get to try it with my High Octane amp. Also, it was unexpected, so I didn't do my homework ahead of time. So, what should I try to see why people are raving about this pedal? What settings? Amp clean or amp a bit dirty? Etc...

2. jgyn

jgyn Member

I haven't heard the KR Gypsy, but if it's based on the Fuzzfaces used by Hendrix, it will probably sound best through a naturally overdriven amp.

3. nlopez

nlopez Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

Yep. When I had one, I had both knobs about 7 and goosed it into a tube screamer. That helps. It was really designed for a Marshall

4. DreamTheaterRules

I have a Barber Launch Pad that is my "always on" pedal, last in line, and set up for "cooking" V1. Last night I did not plug the Gypsy in front of my board. I just plugged it in by itself. Tonight I'll try it into the LP and see if that helps.

5. mrbluetone

mrbluetone Member

Gig volume needed as with most fuzz's

6. DreamTheaterRules

I'll get to turn it up a little louder tonight.

7. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

Keep that fuzz knob up all the way and work the guitar's volume knob to control the amount of fuzz. Do keep other pedals out of the path guitar -> fuzz for now as that will mess things up. Good luck!

8. DreamTheaterRules

and what about the Mini Deja Vibe, which us "supposed to" go in front of even the fuzz???

9. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

A passive tone control will sound pretty bad on a fuzzface, would be pretty dull sounding. So we don't do that mod. Between the fuzz knob and the volume knob on your guitar you should be able to dial in a good sound.

10. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

My Gypsy Fuzz sounded perfect through my THD Flexi 50, but not so good through the Peavey Classic 50. The Peavey never excepted fuzzes as well as other amps I've owned or played through.

11. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

one thing that sound you are looking for needs is high volume. One thing you can do if you can't push your volume loud enough is to send a really hot signal (clean boost dirty boost) etc infront of it. You'll get more compression but it can help fill out the sound if you just can't pump the amp. Definately keep the fuzz knob up all the way or backed off only slightly adjust with your volume knob for the fuzz and keep the volume pretty high too. A lot of that sound were all the components toegther not just a magic box and instant satisfaction.

It just takes a lot of volume to fill it out and make it sound right. Keep playing with it and definately change your strings too. You'll get there.

12. DreamTheaterRules

I turned it up pretty loud last night and it did sound better. It also faired much better on the OD channel with some grit provided by the amp. But we all know the OD channel is not the Classic 30's strong suit. Still, it sounded pretty good, gain cranked, level on about 7.

I found that it sounded pretty close to my Tonefactor Huckleberry fuzz. I could make the Huck sound way different, because it has much more tonal range. It also has more output and gain so to match them up it was turned about 2 notches below the Gypsy on both the gain and the level.

MD, interesting about the Classics not being great with fuzz pedals. Wonder why that is. It takes my other pedals quite well.

Tomorrow night I should be able to try it with my High Octane, which is a great sounding, high gain amp. I'll see how that goes and report back.

13. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

Thanx,
    I use it both ways. I usually use my Vibe with a slightly gritty clean sound. I'm not the guy with a vibe going into a hot-rodded fuzz trying to achieve the Hendrix thing. If I ever want that I'll just put the vibe first like many others do. I like putting the vibe infont of a little dirt and then using a booster in front of it. It gives this thick swirly effect.

14. Melodic Dreamer

Melodic Dreamer Member

I know this is going to go completly against what others will say, but there are a lot of Fuzz pedals that I don't like with el84 amps. 84 tubes have a brittle high-end thing happening and when you add fuzz you get an effect that some like, but personally I don't. Thats just me though. Fuzzes sound great through El34's or KT66's and so on. One thing is the Classic series has a weird mid-range. I would put a different speaker in there. That might help.

15. DreamTheaterRules

oh yeah, did that right away. I put an Eminence Governor in there. Big difference. But, I also have 2 cabs with other speakers that I can play it through. Tomorrow night, I'll try it with the Greenback.

16. DreamTheaterRules

Very interesting, but way to brief test last night. I finally got to try the Gypsy with my High Octane. Strat>Mini Deja Vibe>Gypsy Fuzz> Barber Launch Pad> HO amp.

Unfortunately, 3 minutes after I plugged in, the stupid (YMMV) debate came on, and my daughter is a Political Sciences major so she "had too" watch it. So I had to turn it off.

But... for three minutes, I was WAY into Band of Gypsys land! First, the Deja Vibe just KILLS at Jimi and Trower tones. But, the Gypsy Fuzz CLEARLY likes a brighter amp (hmmmmm , didn't Jimi use a Marshall :)) better than it likes my Classic 30 in either channel.

Also important that, I've read many times that Jimi's tone was a fuzz, but into an already pushed amp. If you listen carefully, there is clearly fuzz and tube saturation. So that's what I did with the HO. The amp was already breaking up. That way, the Gypsy fuzz sounded GREAT!

More testing to do, but for a brief test, I was in "WOWEEE" land for a couple minutes.

So, bright(er) amp with some breakup seems to be the key. The Gypsy LOVED it. So did I. :dude

17. AshyLarry

AshyLarry Member

Pretty much what everyone said already but for me, amp has to be running pretty loud. I put my modded ts9 infront running 1/3 drive and run the Gypsy at full fuzz, level at 8. Thats when it sounds best and usable for me. With the ts9 I put the level at max and use my guitar volume to control everything.

18. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

I have to agree with all of the others as well. I play my GF through a 1959 SLP /Strat (69' pups).

When I first got it, there was a learning curve to it for me. For an example, if you go out and buy a new baseball mitt, or something along those lines, the mitt has to be broken in, and after some time of getting the feel for the dynamics of it, you become "in-tune" to all of it's nuances and control issues. Horrible anaolgy, I know, but after you play it for some time you'll see it is almost like an instrument or "tool" in itself that has to become an extension of your experience of walking it through it's steps for some time.
    Right out of the box and a plug in is a whole lot different than after a while of tinkering with it. Don't give up on it....
    I realize that some pedals are not for some, but the GF has an inherent distinct quality about it that may take a little while to tame so YOU control it.
    Good luck my friend, :AOK
    Mass

19. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Thought for the Day..........
    Unless you were there,All the live music we hear of Jimi is someone else's idea of what it should sound like.The way it was EQ's,compressed,mixed etc to the record is not always a good representation of what was actually coming off the stage that night..So don't beat yourself up too bad.Hell just a power fluctuation at a show can change the World..

20. DreamTheaterRules

Mass,

yeah, like a good woman, it takes a while too... (ok, another bad analogy so never mind! LOL)

anyway, one thing I forgot to mention above, it also likes a little nudge from the front.... when I first plugged it in, I had left the Silver Kiss plugged in 1st. Now, I know most fuzz pedals say "FIRST IN LINE" but Fuller says the Deja is designed to go in front of the fuzz, and I forgot and left the Silver Kiss there too. Set to a mild clean boost in front of the Gypsy Fuzz, it sounded REALLY GOOD. But, your not supposed to do that, so I took it out for the rest of the testing. :)