1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Help with line selector

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by monty, May 23, 2011.

1. monty

monty Member

Pretty much looking for a small stompbox that I can set up so I can jump from modulated clean delayed sounds to my lead sounds and back with one stomp. Been looking at EHX Killswitch and Switchblade pedals.
    Anyone tried either of these for the same application?

2. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Neither will work. The Killswitch is a single loop box (select either straight through or through the effects in the loop) but with a momentary switch, while the Switchblade is an A/B (one input to either of two outputs). You need something with two loops - loop 1 for all your clean fx, and loop 2 for the pedals used for the lead sound - and the ability to switch from loop 1 to loop 2. Check out the Boss LS-2 - it's one of the most useful tools out there :)

3. GlobalCooling

GlobalCooling Member

Agreed with the LS-2.

4. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

One thing, though - with that kind of setup, you can only choose between two distinctly separate setups (in this case a dirty chain and a clean chain). If you want to be able to use a pedal in both setups (for instance, if you suddenly fancy a modulated delay on the lead sound), you have to move it to after the LS-2.

If you want to go deeper into presets and want more flexibility, you should be looking at a programmable pedalboard loop strip - the GigRig, Cusack Pedalboard Tamer and the Carl Martin Octa-switch are a couple of examples. With those, you can choose any combination of the pedals in the loops and recall the presets with a single stomp.

Me, I'd buy a 4-loop/4 preset version of the Cusack Pedalboard Tamer in a heartbeat - I'd love to be able to set up my base sound (compressor for cleans, different overdrives for dirt etc) and recall them as presets, while leaving the rest of the pedals free for kicking in/out at my leisure. :)

5. monty

monty Member

Damn, thanks Stinkfoot.
    Is there anything other than the boss, looking for something with a smaller footprint.

6. monty

monty Member

Just saw your other post Stinkfoot, trying to keep things minimal but it is looking like that isnt possible.

7. monty

monty Member

Yikes, I just checked out the 2 suggestions. More $$ and real estate than I want to spend.
    I'll have to learn to dance better I guess.
    Thanks for the help though.

8. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

Well, it's hard to get a much smaller footprint than a Boss pedal - after all, most people's feet are still bigger :) But the limitation I mentioned can be a problem, or not - it depends on your setup.

For me, I usually run a compressor on the clean sound, but when I kick in one of the overdrives I want it turned off. Going back and forth therefore requires two stomps. I could easily use an LS-2, run the comp in loop A and the overdrives in loop B and switch between them. I'd need to pre-set loop B for which overdrive to use next, of course, but that'd be fine. The problem is if I suddenly wanted to use the comp and one of the overdrives... then I'd have to get a second compressor to run in loop B. That's the limitation with that type of setup - if you can live with it, it's a cheap and easy way to switch between two completely different pedal combinations with a single stomp, or to at least diminish the number of stomps needed to go from sound A to sound B.

9. monty

monty Member

Thanks again Stinkfoot. I'm going out this morning to pick up the Boss pedal. Did a bunch of reading on it after you suggested it and while it is a bit limited, it will save me some stomping. Plus since I am trying to save some board room, I can take my boost pedal off because I see it has levels for the loops.