help with Millenia pre for bass?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by WahmBoomAh, Jun 29, 2006.

1. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Hi ..I posted this on Gearslutz and thought someone here might help out too .
    I need to decide on a studio on the road .Recording EL BASS ..pop/jazz/rock

One has a Millenia HV-3C pre . Very transparent(transistor) ...used as a piano pre in this case .

The other has a Midas channel strip (not sure what model)...

I own a Retrospec Squeezebox which claims to be based on a LA2A ...used alot by bassists .
    My hope is to run the Squeezebox(has 2 12AX7`s ) in front of the Millenia and simulate some fatness and color . If it`s a big mistake I`d love to find out before I hit REC !

thanks for any help ....Paul

I see the studio with the Midas also has an AMEK 9098 w/o EQ ....but the Milennia is in the studio with the vibe ....What`s an ig-i-no-rant-e guitarist to do ????

2. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

Off hand, I'd say go for the room with the vibe, but what do I know. The hardware is easy to swap out. The room, not so easy.

3. elambo

elambo Member

Which studios are you considering? Is there a website?

4. elambo

elambo Member

I just read your edit - if the Amek is available for your bass it's a decent option to go with the Midas.

By "vibe" what do you mean?

5. WahmBoomAh

HI Elambo ...thanks ...Vibe is ..a nicer environment for concentration and calm , a nicer engineer who`s a fine musician , a nicer neighborhood (I`m on the road in Sao Paulo and some areas are better to stay away from ) and ...sorry , no sites that I know of . I`m going over there tonite to try out the Milennia setup ...session on tuesday . Thanks ..Paul

6. elambo

elambo Member

I tell you what - I'd take a great performance over great sound any day. If the better vibe puts you in a better mindset to make great music, don't worry about the gear so much. I'm sure the gear will be adequate at either place, but if one studio is cold and uninspiring it's probably a place to avoid.

7. justicetones

justicetones Member

Very well put. 100% AGREED.....

8. WahmBoomAh

Agreed here too . I `m not the one who`ll play bass on it but I`m producing it (and guitar-ing it)..

I was afraid there might be some secret hi-fi artifacts to the millenia that would snap,crackle and pop .

SO ..I tested it tonite and WOW .. Between the tubes in the Squeezbox and the 60`s lofi semi hollow bass I used .....it was SWEET ....

Just hope the "real" bass players modern axe doesn`t sterilize the vibe .If it`s not right I`ll have him play my bass and we`re golden . Sure wish I had a lunchbox with me ..How can I afford pres when I still have about 4 amps and 8 pedals to buy !!!!

thanks for the input gentlemen

9. elambo

elambo Member

Make sure you come back after the session to let us know how it went. The Millenia is a fantastic preamp and I'm sure it'll turn out great.

10. WahmBoomAh