Help with my HSS setup

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by ducmike, Mar 11, 2006.

1. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

I have an hss guitar, Rio tallboy singles and a GFS fat PAF hum. 5 way, pull tone for split. It all sound good except the bridge/middle combo. Very thin and bright and nasty, both full hum or split. The only thing I can think of is that I should turn the hum around. It has the adjustable pole pieces closest to the bridge right now. Should I flip it so they are closer to the mid pup? Again, it sounds great in the other 4 positions. What else should I check?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. GDSblues

GDSblues Member

It looks to me that your PAF is out of phase with the singles. Why not try reversing the PAF hot and ground leads. This may solve your problem although I have a problem understanding why your full PAF sounds this as as this would not be effected by the phasing problem. Revisit your PAF wireing and see if you have verything hooked up properly.

3. ducmike

Thanks for the advise. I'll try reversing the hot and ground.To be clear, the bridge (full hum or split) only sounds good alone, but if I add the mid pup with it, then it gets thin and nasty. It's wierd, it sounds good in every position except the mid-bridge combo.

4. GDSblues

GDSblues Member

I had the same problem with my Dimarzio PAF PRO (bridge) on my Strat. Solved it by reversing the ground and hot leads. Funny thing is....on my split position, I too have the hot side of the PAF closest to the bridge and would love to reverse the whole pickup so that when split . the hot side is closest to the middle pickup. My problem is that the silly leads of the PAF are short and wont allow me to reverse the pickup.

5. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

You don't have to turn the pickup around - you can select which coil is active when split by the switching alone. If you currently have the coil-split switch connecting the split-coil wire to ground, wire it so that it connects to the pickup hot instead (or vice versa).

6. ducmike

Thanks. I switched the ground and hot, and it sound great. Problem solved, and it only cost a set of strings.