Help with my next delay pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, May 12, 2015.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hey all!

At one time I had more than one delay pedal and then I went down to one and then recently I really downsized. The one pedal that gets a lot of use from me is delay.

Right now, I have an MXR Carbon Copy and do love it. Sometimes I feel I want a second delay. I used to have a reverb but I am not a big fan although I appreciate what reverb can to for leads, filling them out. However, my Carbon Copy has been doing well in this department, especially with the modulation engaged.

For delay, I use it for a spaceous sound or ambience for clean and leads. For leads I go for more of a fattening or thickening of the tone. I typically find analog delay best for this, but digital delays have gotten so good these days. I tend to like darker delays or at least a tone or high cut knob.

I tend to like simple, but I am willing to take more options if they are useful, such as an additional reverb function or modulation.

These are some of the delays I am interested in - let me know your thoughts. Thanks! :)

Catalinbread Montavillian
    Retro Sonic Analog Delay
    Boss Waza Craft DM-2
    Seymour Duncan Vaper Trail
    Earthquaker Devices Dispatch Master
    Moog MF Delay
    Way Huge Aqua or Supa Puss
    Wampler Faux Analog Echo/Delay
    TC Electronic Alter Ego
    VFE Choral Delay

I am ready to make a move soon!
    Let me know your thoughts. :)

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. Gillespie1983

Gillespie1983 Member

Your list fascinates me. You obviously have done some research and narrowed down your choices. I'd like to hear why you do not consider the other delays that receive so much TGP praise:

Diamond Memory Lane Jr
    Strymon elCapistan, Timeline
    H9
    JHS Cub
    Empress
    et al

3. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

I'd recommend eliminating the Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail from your list. Personally, I prefer the Vapor Trail over the Carbon Copy, but it's extremely similar to the Carbon Copy, and I assume you're wanting something that would cover different sonic territory.

4. papersoul

papersoul Member

I like my pedals to have as few knobs as possible (Keep it simple) and my first choice is analog. I also don't want to get to crazy with price. I would rather stay at $200 or less new or used.

However, I do miss the Damage Control Glass Nexus I used to own! :(

I agree to people who say to skip the Vapor Trail. However, maybe it could replace my CC. I love that the VT has external controls for Mod! I think the mod can be more prominant than the C as well!

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  5. strings4v

strings4v Member

There's a delay pedal called Nemesis that Source Audio is releasing soon... Really interesting one. Keep an eye on it i guess?

6. 71strat

71strat Member

Hurry up and get the Moog MF104M.

They have stopped making them because they ran out of the BB Chips.

Get them while they last.

7. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

try the Analogman ARDX20 - I just sold mine along with an Amazeo controller for $250 shipped. For a few bucks more it sounds exactly like what you are describing. I liked it better than the Strymon Brigadier FWIW.

8. papersoul

papersoul Member

I did have one of those but actually preferred my Carbon Copy. Thanks.

9. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay.

10. ndtealmusic

ndtealmusic Member

^ the aforementioned MP Deep Blue sounds freaking great! The Wampler FTE is a favorite of mine, but FWIW, I didn't like the Carbon Copy. Too...murky, I think. It also oscillated too easily and the 300ms cap was unbearable. The modulation on the FTE is gorgeous though, and having tap and tone and up to 800ms and oscillation that is far easier to control....I love it anyway.

11. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Based on the fact that you like darker repeats, I would recommend the Memory Lane Jr. It is voiced very nicely, almost like an analog. I had mine for sale and just pulled it after playing it some more.

For reference, I also still own:
    DMM XO
    DMM big box
    Maxon AD900
    Skreddy Echo
    Analogman ARDX20

Skreddy likes this.
  12. 71strat

71strat Member

I also like the MOOG Minifooger Delay. I really like the DRIVE circuits in all the Moog pedals that have them.

The Minifooger delay has a whopping 22db of Drive. Almost as much as a Tube Screamer..26db..... and the MF104M has 28db of Drive. 2 More db than a TS. Both sound great as stand alone Drives too.

I also like to run a Kyle Chase EP3 Preamp with my Delays and as an Always On Pedal. Its an exact copy down to the NOS parts of both the Early 70's and Late 70's Echoplex EP3 Preamps.

But for simple I like the Minifooger.

I own both the Moog MF104M Super Delay and the Minifooger Delay.

I would bite the bullet and get the Moog MF104M before theyre gone. You can also always get your money back out of the Moog as they are Discontinued and will be highly sought after.

13. 62Tele

62Tele Supporting Member

The Diamond Counterpoint is working well for me. There are four distinct sounds, all of which sound great. It's very easy to use on the fly and gets along well with everything else on my board. It's a little over your price range, but you should be abLe to find a sale and get a fair bit closer.

14. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

No problem - it sounded just like what you were after, interesting that it didn't work for you.

15. bratch

bratch Member

My "other" delays are

Cb echorec - tone knob, awesome possibilities, simpler than you'd expect

Tc flashback - try the "tape" mode, or make your own perfect delay with the editor.

16. jm9239

jm9239 Member

I am on a very similar hunt. I have an H9 but am also looking for an analog or analog-voiced delay. The pedals I am considering are:

Diamond Memory Lane Jr.
    Diamond Counter Point
    Boss DM-2w
    Deluxe Memory Man XO with Analogman mods
    Catalinbread Montavillian
    Moog MF-104M (the pricing is ridiculous imo)

If anyone has any thoughts on the above or recommendations I would appreciate it too. FYI, I have owned the El Cap, Timefactor, Belle Epoch and others.

17. papersoul

papersoul Member

The Carbon Copy has a max of 600 ms and that is way more than I would ever use. I like darker, almost murky delays...like a good old analog delay. A friend of mine has had and still has tons of delays and recommends I get a Catalinbread Montavillian.

18. NorthernLights

NorthernLights Member

I've had a Red Witch Seven Sisters Violet delay for a couple years now, and I haven't found a delay pedal that I like better, tonewise. The only issue I have is that the mix knob is internal. If you don't mind setting that a certain way and leaving it, I'd recommend it. It's a tiny, tiny pedal and runs off of a rechargeable lithium ion battery which is a bit odd, but it's worked flawlessly for me for over two years.

They also just came out with a new version called the Violetta, which has an external mix knob and modulation control, and a footswitch out to control repeats. I just received mine today and am excited to try it out after work!

19. papersoul

papersoul Member

That would be useless for me. I change the mix when switching amps and also sometimes with different songs or application.

20. zos

zos Member

I would just get a EHX DMM and be done with it .