Help with My RS Upgrade Install

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by ducmike, Sep 18, 2005.

1. ducmike

ducmike Silver Supporting Member

I started to install my RS electronics upgrade kit on my LP, and I have encountered several problems due to my lack of soldering skill. How heat resistive are the CTS pots? It seems to take forever to get them hot enough to melt the solder on them. Do you heat the pot and tin it with solder and then just reheat the solder to put the wire in it?
    I also bumped the plastic shield on the input wire and lightly melted it. Will this cause a problem?
    I have a Radioshack pencil style iron that is swithable from 20-40 watts. I was using it in the 40 watt mode and actually burned up or in some way ruined the tip before I could finish the job. Half of the tip is actually gone. This is the first time this iron has been used, and the first time I have soldered anything in about 15 years. The local Radioshack is closed on Sunday, so I can't finish the job til Monday.
    I found some instructions and videos on soldering online, so I feel better about my next attempt, but I don't want to ruin the pots.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Mike

2. RSRelic

RSRelic Member

You are using the same iron we use in shop, so I know it will do the job. Here are a few tips for you. First make sure to tin the tip of the iron by melting some solder on it then clean it off on the wet sponge included with the iron. Next put a light coating of solder (tin) on the part you are attaching to the pot before you try to conect it. Next heat the pot for nine seconds. use your iron to hold the wire down then feed the solder between the iron and the pot, and it will flow out like a dream. You have to make sure the pots hot enough so the solder will flow out and not make a cold solder joint. E-mail me if you need any more help.

Roy

3. ducmike

Thanks, Roy. I'll try it as soon as I can get a new tip. I still can't figure out how I destroyed the tip so fast.

4. illinimax

illinimax Gold Supporting Member

Sometimes pots don't take solder very well due to some residue (oil) on the casing. I gently wipe the back of the pot with some utra fine grit sandpaper or micro-mesh and the solder then flows real well.

5. ducmike

Thanks, I'll try that too. The local Radioshack was out of tips, so I have to wait until I go to work Tuesday.

6. M@tt C

M@tt C Supporting Member

Wow..talk about perfect timing! I just installed an RS upgrade kit on my '05 standard last night and was wondering the same thing- how the heck do you get a good solder connection to the pots?

Looks like I may be re- doing those since I now know the "secret!"

By the way, the kit did make a difference- the guitar sounds more "open" and clear. I dig it!

7. ducmike

I picked up the new soldering tips last night, but I won't get to work on it until this weekend. Looks like we have a lot of rain coming our way, so I need to get my long over due yard work done tonight.

8. ducmike

I finaly completed the upgrade, and it works.:D The RS kit sounds much better than the stock stuff. I don't have to back off the volume as much to clean up the tone either.

Roy, thank for the soldering tips. Very helpful.