help with my Suhr classic strat

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by gitman, Sep 21, 2008.

1. gitman

gitman Member

i guess i have 2 immediate options :
    either i try out a different bridge or get some new pups because :
    this alder/maple classic set up with Suhr Fletcher/Landau pups and a
    2-post bridge with solid steel saddles is not as "dirty", "greasy", "zingy" as i would like her to be.
    should i swap pickups (V'54s come to mind), get a vintage type bridge or
    sell this guitar and go look for a swamp ash/maple combo Suhr ?
    [​IMG]

2. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

So are you saying it's not bright enough?

FL pickups also come with a standard model which is more vintage sounding.

The 510 trem you have there also come with bent steel saddles which you can swap with.

3. HBK

HBK Member

it's 1055 on this one I think

4. HBK

HBK Member

Try the Ash+Maple one .... I think it could be the "wild" one you are looking for.

5. suhr_rodney

suhr_rodney Supporting Member

Try as many combinations as you can, but based on your description I'm not sure Ash/Maple will do it for you. V60LPs may be a good choice.

6. gitman

gitman Member

it's always difficult to describe one's idea about the ultimate tone ... the guitar as it is now plays wonderfully, is smooth and polite and has just not enough bite and grit for me, for lack of a better term. raw, greasy, aggressive, sharp, biting, .... a little of all of these adjectives i.e. a dose of that on top of what i have -
    so a set of bent steel saddles would help and what about the various "early" or "vintage" strat (early to mid fifties period i guess) pickups by the boutique winders ?

7. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

What's the spec on this instrument? My problem with my Suhr is the opposite to yours - I think it has too much high end for me.

8. gitman

gitman Member

this has an alder body and a slightly flamed one-piece maple neck with steel frets. F/L standard (the hotter version) pickups, standard SSC system, solid bridge saddles.
    could be that the alder body just amplifies the lower mids so much that the higher frequencies get kinda lost in the shuffle.... i would never describe this as an overly bright guitar- funny you should say that ! what's your's like and can't you tame it with the tonecontrol, a longer cord or at the amp ?

9. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

I have an alder/maple Suhr Classic with the v54s, which I love, but I would definitely not describe the resulting tone as "dirty" or "greasy". These pick-ups definitely have that vintage strat bell-like chime, and are very flexible tonally. They might even qualify as "zingy", but I don't think that they would be the best choice if you are looking for dirt and grease in the sound.

Actually, as was suggested above, you might consider the v60lp pick-up Suhr makes, as to my ears it sounds a bit greasier and dirtier than the v54.

10. larry1096

larry1096 Member

11. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Mine is lightweight alder, nickel frets, big(ish) neck (.86" at nut), African Rosewood board and 1055 trem. The light body slightly thins out the low mids, so there is very good string separation - no mud. However, the fretboard emphasises the 'spank factor.' John Suhr describes it as 'slappy' - that's exactly it. So it's bright, even with v60lp's. Buddy Guy territory. In fact, I had the Classic FL's replaced as they were just too bright. I think the big neck punches it up a bit, too.

My current plans are to sell this guitar, but I'm sold on Suhr's build quality so I think next time, it'll be a Classic with a normal weight body with either indian rosewood or maple neck.

I run the tone at 5 and volume at 7 on the guitar, with the treble nearly off on the amp. Mind you, it is a bright amp, and I'm going to try a darker speaker.

12. adamzappa

adamzappa Member

Get some Angeltone pickups.

13. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

Don't know if you can get all three of those out of the natural voice of one guitar. For "zing", I'd go the ash body/ V54 route. For "grease", V60LPs are great, while retaining the strat vibe. I'd be looking for the dirt from amp/pedals, and go one way or the other with the guitar.

FWIW, I love my alder/maple classic with V60LPs. Nice chimey cleans, and just enough wallop when you dig in.

14. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

ash/maple/'54= Zingy

alder/rosewood/V60's = Greasy

thou must chooz

15. RichusRkr

RichusRkr Supporting Member

ok, I'm on my 6th or 7th suhr. I too am sold on the build quality and keep returning but generally all my Suhrs have been on the delicate side of the tonal spectrum. The one I've got now is swamp ash with maple neck/fb. just got it so the verdict is still out. Last one was alder/indian rw and nailed the early 60s surf sound and actually acheived a nice smooth distortion with minimal 'strat' quack overtones. notable is a mapled topped suhr I owned that, while loving the guitars feel and looks coudnt get the delicate high end crispiness out. I even put Rio Grandes, known for their beefiness and still couldnt get the fairy out of that guitar.

16. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

'Getting the fairy out'...sounds interesting to me. ;)

I think strats have enough high-end 99% of the time (for me). But yes, the lightweight alder does some to do that 'airy' tone oh-so-well.

Rambler on triode, treble at 8-9, mids at 12, bass at 12...reverb just about on...suspended chords and a subtly application of the vibrato bar...bam, you've got it. I just need less of that delicacy and more of the greasy stuff.

17. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Your bridge is actually a fishman without piezo so the 510 won't fit without new posts but a 1055 or a 1088 will . If you can send it back to Suhr and get a 510TS with bent metal saddles and a set of FLs .

18. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

I see the perfect guitar trade in the making.

19. gitman

gitman Member

hey guys, thanks so much for all your input, i really appreciate all of your ideas and comments ! it's funny but a strat is still quite a mystery for me- i can dial in my sound with a humbucker guitar any time but these Fender types still escape me for a large part... the confusion i caused with the terms i used to describe those elusive sounds is just one proof of my ignorance ;-) i will try and find some tonal examples, songs that everybody can listen to and give their assessment as to which specific ingredients actually made up that particular sound - besides the artist's personal touch, of course.
    i will start hunting for clips right away !

20. gitman

gitman Member

Arlen Roth !!!!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa4gm24w-r0
    Michael Thompson (ignore the super-wet fx)
    http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4XAPu-vdoM
    http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=5yGz8lcTPks&feature=related
    Billy Yates :
    http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=2KV9ZO7CJvY&feature=related

these are fine vintage guitars in the hands of truly masterful players -
    i don't claim to possess an equal talent but i am able to make a guitar
    work and give iup it's goods when they are there- been doin' it for the last
    30 years.
    these clips i.e. the tones you hear there give you kinda an idea of what i'm
    after : brilliant but not ice-picky, fat but not obese (hihi), hollow but not lifeless and
    anything but polite and smooth. too much to ask from one guitar with these features ?