Help with noise in my recordings S/N ratio very bad

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by maccampbells, Aug 16, 2008.

1. maccampbells

maccampbells Member

Mics>peavy 24 channel mixer, XLR outputs to MBox, Mbox to computer and stereo.

I've got a lot of noise on the recordings, you especially notice it during quiet passages. If we have all the mics going (only 7 now) and stop playing the recording goes silent. Start playing and the sound comes on as well as the noise. It's like there's noise gate in there that I don't know about. But worse is the noise. It is not one particular mic, it's the over all mix.

I don't even know where to begin other than to start trouble shooting mic cables. The level at each stage (mixing board, mbox, computer) looks ok and doesn't sound clipped out. Should I bring up the overall level to increase the S/N ratio and just turn down the signalgoinginto the Mbox?

HELP!

2. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

Is there noise when just listening to the mixer (w/ headphones or monitors)?

You're going to have to troubleshoot to find what's causing it. There's really no way for me to guess where it's coming from. I haven't used a board like that in a long time, but it shouldn't be that noisy.

Usually this stuff is due to poor gain staging. If the noise is in the mixer, cranking it up will increase that (and probably make it worse). You're going to have to dig into your manuals to get some specs, then run some test tones to optimize your setup.

It's not as scary as it sounds, and I can try and walk you through it if you'd like.

3. maccampbells

maccampbells Member

When I plug headphones in the mixer, I get nothing. Headphone volume is up. I will have to just go step by step I guess.