• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Help with NOS tubes (6L6/12AX7)..

coolhand78

which of these are 'better' (if you could say why they are better that would also be helpful)? they're a 64 vibroverb custom...

1. JAN GE 12AX7WA or NOS RCA 12AX7A
2. JAN Philips 7581A or NOS GE 6L6GC

chaz

I like the second choice of each best, but it's all up to your ears in the end. I think the RCA's are a smoother, sweeter sounding tube, and if you like some breakup the GE's will give it up earlier than 7581's which are known for lots of headroom. Hope that helps.

Blue Strat

Neither is "better". It's like asking if green or blue is better. It's a personal/subjective issue.

Timbre Wolf

Hyperspatial Gravity Surfer
Platinum Supporting Member
Neither is "better". It's like asking if green or blue is better. It's a personal/subjective issue.
Oh, come on Mike - everyone knows that green is the "Mullard" of the color spectrum. :D

- T

p.s. for what it is worth, I prefer the RCA 12AX7A to the GE 12AX7WA - the RCA has real fat, tight lows, somewhat scooped mids, and bright but somewhat indistinct treble. The GE also has good low end punch, but is a bit less dynamic than the RCA. Both tubes lack the clarity of many other (mostly older) 12AX7.

Blue Strat

The JAN Philips 7581As will give the most clean headroom and would be brighter than the GE 6L6GCs.

FloridaSam

I had an amp tech replace the tubes in a 1966 Super Reverb. He replaced the 6L6 with the 7581A. He said he would swap them with 6L6 if I didn't like tham but wanted me to try them first. I loved the JAN Phillips 7581a. They really worked in that amp. Like others have said, huge clean hedaroom from that amp.

coolhand78

cool thanks for the replies...
i think ill go with the RCA 12AX7A's and the 7581A's

anyone know where i can get some matched 7581a's?

cheers...

Macaroni

I have Phillips 7581As & RCA 6L6GCs, and while the 7581As have more clean headroom, they don't break up as nice, ie: the OD tones aren't as sweet, IMHO. That's the trade off. They do take pedals well though.

P90Nut

cool thanks for the replies...
i think ill go with the RCA 12AX7A's and the 7581A's

anyone know where i can get some matched 7581a's?

cheers...

I am sure that Mike at KCA NOS Tubes can help you, or Doug's tubes.

Good luck!

Mark

Trending Topics