Help with Oddball Effects

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by derekd, May 30, 2008.

1. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Okay, so I have the OD, boost, delay and wah pedals I want. I need some of the quirky stuff. So the swirly, vibbey, modulating, phasing, trippy stuff.

I really don't want to get truely spacey, but want something that will have an organic sound, but add some texture. I have viewed the Xotic Robotalk on youtube, and that seems pretty cool and would fit the bill, but of course out of production. Ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. PlumBob

PlumBob Member

Old red Ross flanger.

3. Bobo Fret

Bobo Fret Whatchyou lookin' at? Silver Supporting Member

stuff i like and have/had/want that is kinda in this category:

Barge Concepts VFB-X: put any damn thing in the negative feedback loop and it's off you go

Barge concepts MB-1 (Lovetone meatball clone coming soon)

Subdecay Fembot, Prometheus and Noisebox

4ms has a number of effects that would do ya (ie tremulus lune, atoner, etc)

Moogerfoogers

Copilot Fx stuff

Far out man!!!

4. enocaster

enocaster Member

Sounds like you don't need any "holy grail" $$$$ effects, so....

Phaser: A new EH Small Stone, chewy phase, now with true bypass OR a CSP-026 MXR Phase 90 reissue
    Vibe: Voodoo Lab Micro Vibe, get one used for $90
    Flanger: Maxon/Ibanez are a great for the money

5. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I have been eyeballing the Line 6 filter and modulation pedals. Seem to be quite a bit there for the $. Since GC carries EH, I may stop in this weekend and test drive your suggestion on the small stone.

I would love to get my hands on a Moogerfooger, but no one around here carries them.

6. puddinstone

puddinstone Supporting Member

EH polychorus is cheap used and does a lot of different sounds- useable/extremely wierd/ and some where in between.

7. mattthefiddler

mattthefiddler Member

Moogerfoogers

you string em' together to cross modulate and control each other, it gets even more trippy.

I just picked up my 5th Moogerfooger :)

8. fishlog

fishlog Member

I've been into Electro Harmonix lately trying to find that same extra effect to give me landscapish/space like sounds. They have some really neat ones. I have a EHX Micro Synth in the mail.

9. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

10. Judson

Judson Senior Member

Dont get the Line6 FM4 filter thing. It doesn't sound that great compared to even software equivalents. The MM4 is a lot better IMO. But I would go for a few cheap "real things" than a modeler that kind of half-asses the sound and is big and clunky, it doesnt even look cool. If you want things off of the FM4 id say look for smaller cheaper pedal companies making their own things, and for modulation the top names have some reasonably priced pieces that are nice. If you've got the money I would go for the good ones though because from experience most of the time with this stuff you get what you pay for.

11. fishlog

fishlog Member

I should ad that I see some suggestions for flangers and such or chorus effects. In my opinion there is nothing unusual about these effects and they actually feel more like a throw back to the 80's or something. But thats just me.

12. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Good advice. As stated above, I really liked a demo of the Xotic Robotalk, but not available. So when you say top names, you mean Boss, etc? The problem with the boutique makers is of course, no test drive. You have to own to get in the game.

I guess you can flip it here or on ebay if you are not happy.

13. enocaster

enocaster Member

I made my suggestions based on the "swirly, vibey, modulating, phasing" criteria in the OP. If you are looking for more a "out there" swirly device I'll 2nd the MuRF. The only warning is that it can be a 1-trick pony unless you spend time tweeking it or coming up with creative applications/combinations.

The Polychorus was a really good suggestion for something that can get weird while having some more traditional sounds.

14. gururyan

gururyan Member

[​IMG]

Save your pennies and wait for September to come around.

15. fishlog

fishlog Member

Enocaster.... Sorry if you took that the wrong way did not mean it like that. I guess for me its just I use chorus and flangers in more traditional ways if that makes sense and don't find them to be that odd-ball of an effect. Actually I now use a stereo Memory man from EHX that can get chorus and flanger like echo's besides delay type effects. Actually now that I think about it the SMM can get some really weird and useful effects.

16. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Okay, I will bite. What happens in Sept? Release of this bad mamajama? Ideas about how much?

17. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

Under $500, IIRC.

18. enocaster

enocaster Member

No worries, the OP is a little vague as to just how weird he wants to get!
    :BEER

19. bosstone

bosstone Member

I could set my Mega Vibe in a way that would probably make a lot of people seasick.

20. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Not too weird, something more organic, not jarring. Tough to put a finger on it, it seems, sorry. Thanks for the suggestions thus far. Going to Xotic's site, I see that they are updating the Robotalk sometime this summer, so I may wait and see what tweaks they come up with.

I have been searching for clips of some of the above suggestions. The Emma Discombobulator sounds pretty cool. I also checked out the Pigtronix Envelop Phaser, pretty funky.