Help with pedal board

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Flick037, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Flick037

Flick037 Member

Hello, so I am new to wiring up a pedal board. I have most of the pedals I will use, with the exception of a few that I'm still trying to find a good price on. My question is: what are some tips for wiring everything up, and keeping it clean and straight?

2. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

Quality cables help keep things neat - I love Lava. They tuck in nicely and allow everything to fit well. Evidence audio has similar pedalboard kits, as does George L (I think).

If you're using a Pedaltrain, this always helps in the neatness department as you can tuck excess cable underneath.

A good power supply can help keep things sounding AND looking tidy. Again, if you can store the power supply under the board, it gives you the ability to feed the power through the brackets.

It's one of the most rewarding feelings after wiring up a board. I shifted a couple things in my board and took the opportunity to make everything looking good again and it's so satisfying :)

3. Drak

Drak Supporting Member

Pics of what you currently have would really help with advice.
    Right off the bat, I always recommend the best power supply you can afford that fits your setup.
    I like and use Cioks products myself but there are other good ones out there.
    Cheap or insufficient power supply is a typical board-starter trap. Don't let yourself get trapped.
    Are you going to use 5 or 15 pedals?
    Are you taking it out on the road or at-home only?
    Flat or wedge?
    Carrying handles?
    Stereo or Mono out?
    Do you have your chain already set up?
    Are you soldering your own cables or using solderless connectors?
    If you're assembling your own cables, Redco and Orange County Speaker are good places for cable and connector supplies.
    Don't try to line them up in order without your cables plugged in, it makes a difference spacewise.

Before you even build or assemble the board itself, you should plug everything in in order that you intend to use them and play through it to check and make sure everything will get along OK and you don't run into weirdo matchup issues that should be ironed out before assembly.
    Even if you don't have everything yet, plug everything you DO have together and see if it works OK up to this point.

4. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

- Do lot's of dry-fit/test runs - before settling on an order.
    - don't run your power cables and audio cables parallel to each other (could add "noise").
    - leave some space for the pedals you buy later - it will happen :)

5. Flick037

Flick037 Member

[​IMG]

This is what I currently have.

The space by the volume pedal with be a fulldrive 3, which should be here in a few days. On the right of the soul food will be the visual sound route 66. Right now I have the hall of fame reverb by the delay but will move that when my Nova delay comes in, if it fits there. I want to get an Epitome and also another reverb. And a tremolo pedal will go by the harmonist.

That's what I plan anyway, as it could change.

6. cacibi

cacibi Member

Make sure you have EVERYTHING that's going on the board before you start building it.

If you're mocking something up digitally to see what will fit, allow EXTRA room for the jacks between pedals. The input/output jack washers are often NOT factored into the dimension specs available online

If wiring your own cables (soldered or solderless) get and use a cable tester.

Run one thing first, then the other. In other words - run power first, get that all neat and tidy, make sure everything is powering up right THEN run audio. Deal with one thing at a time.

Get creative in your layout if space is tight. It's nice when everything is laid out in the order of your signal chain but not necessary. Often times you can create more space by grouping pedals with top mounted jacks, for example. Also - you can find some dual function pedals that will maximize your real estate, such as the Strymon Flint (reverb and tremolo in one).

7. Igotsoul4u

Igotsoul4u Member

Get some heavy duty velcro or your pedals will fall off easily. 3M dual lock is the best. I put the dual lock on all the bottoms of my pedals and use regular soft velcro for the actual pedal board. Removing a pedal can be difficult but using a hard edge of a credit card will break the connection easier.

8. badge13

badge13 Member

Keep the power and audio cables separated as much as possible to help eliminate interference. Once you have a signal chain and a mock layout, keep wires tidy with zip-ties. You can get the ties with the holes on the end to mount them directly to your board or you can get peel and stick zip-tie holders and stick them on. If you think you'll change things around quite a bit you can use Velcro zip-ties that can be undone and reused. To keep things really neat, make all your wire turns at right angles and keep them tight together. You can google some images of pedal boards or even electronics rack to get a better idea of what I'm talking about. Just take your time and think through where each wire has to go. It'll take much longer but the end result should be a pretty good looking pedal board.