Help with pedal order please?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Pott, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Pott

Pott Member

Right now I want to place on my board:

modded SD1 (through a tiny TB loop)
    Bad Monkey (set for slight gain boost, very slight, to boost other pedals and amp's input)
    MXR six band EQ (still experimenting, but right now set to be used before other pedals, to add presence and high mids i.e cut)
    Carl Martin Surf Trem (only modulation on there)
    Marshall Compressor
    Korg Pitchblack
    EH Big Muff (Russian, Black version, TB)
    Subdecay Blackstar OD
    Damage Control Solid Metal

So basically there's only the CM and the Bad Monkey that are buffered, which is a bit light, but all my other buffered pedals (Carl Martin stuff, GREAT buffers on there) are too big and don't sound good with my current amp (a Laney VC15)
    The Subdecay is best placed first and well, I don't need to boost nor compress it so that's ok...

I was thinking:
    Subdecay
    Compressor
    MXR
    Bad Monkey
    SD1 (through loop)
    Solid Metal
    Big Muff
    Surf Trem
    Tuner

I'm just looking for other options before I finalize this really...want to hear people thinking differently :) Thanks!

2. LowWatt

LowWatt Member

One good buffer is enough, so don't sweat that one. I run a 9-pedal board and the only buffered pedal is a Hot Cake. My signal is great, very close to going with just a 20' cord.

When I'm putting together my set up, I'm alwys trying to come up with slightly unusual moves that would make cool, original and useful sounds.

Moves I'd try with your stuff :
    EQ after the Muff -- that way you can make the muff as wooly as you want, with the exact tone you are after and then adjust it's balance after the fact. You will get WAY more out of the muff with this move

Bad Monkey last in chain -- I like having a flexible pedal with a good EQ at the end of my chain. It helps me take everything before it and decide how to best sit it in the mix and set its level.

At least one light OD after the Trem. Could be the bad monkey, but you have so many dirt boxes on your board that at least one should be after your trem so that you can play around with distorted trem sounds.

3. Pott

Pott Member

Cool thanks, some good ideas there! I don't use the BM so much to boost other pedals anymore (I did a lot before) so I think I'll try just that! Bad Monkey will be last, just after the CM but before the tuner.

I use short cables, 3 meters at most (right now bedroom and practice room playing only). I'm not too worried about toneless but with this setup I have both buffers at the very end which bothers me some...I'll try it and report later!

4. Pott

Pott Member

Ok did it this way:
    Blackstar
    Compressor
    SD1 (through loop)
    Solid Metal
    Surf Trem
    Bad Monkey
    Big muff
    MXR EQ
    Pitchblack

This way if I ever gig with an amp I don't quite like, I can EQ it, or use a slight boost wiht the BM on it, and still use my pedalboard tones. And I can always swap out the Trem and BM if I don't like it.

5. Rid

Rid Senior Member

For your info...there is no buffer in the Surftrem.

6. mr. stanley

mr. stanley Member

7. Pott

Pott Member

Found that out today! I forgot to plug in the power supply and it still worked. I swear my brain actually produced smoke right there. DOH!

Nope no delay. Maybe one day some light echo. Next build is a univibe. I usually dislike modulation of most genres. I have a Russian Small Stone I like but wasn't using enough to make that board.