1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Help With Picking Fender Tube Amp Needed!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Crawford C., Apr 27, 2016.

1. Crawford C.

Crawford C. Member

Hello Great Shredders of The Gear Page,
    I am a 15 year old guitar player looking to move to the 'next level'. I have a Mexican made Fender Strat and a cheap Fender Mustang I amp. I play mostly bedroom stuff but have a few small gigs per year in a band with my friends. I love playing and play 1-2 hours a day. The guitar was my most recent step up, and now I look to a new amp for what I want. I like fender and want a fender amp. The bands I like most are RHCP, Weezer, Cage the Elephant, Dispatch, Mac Demarco. It would be nice if the amp could fit these bands. I am not a vintage snob at all. The price is really important (specified below). Here is what I want in an amp.
    -Fender
    -Tube
    -Price: $450-$800 USD
    -Takes drive pedals well (Either Tube Screamer or OCD)
    -Versatile; good for lead and rhythm
    -Does not need a lot of wattage; any wattage will do
    Thank you so much in advance, and I look forward to seeing your replies. I know trying out amps is the "best way" to find an amp but I live at school and as such, this is not possible. Also in your responses just a few details of why you recommend what you do would be appreciated.

Crawford :D

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  2. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

What about a deluxe reverb? Are they too clean sounding?

3. Crawford C.

Crawford C. Member

They seem like excellent amps, but are a bit out of m price range. I know they are fairly clean but that shouldn't be to big a problem if they can take pedals. Thanks for the response

4. eigentone

eigentone Supporting Member

An original Silverface - eg Twin, Bassman, Super Reverb, Bandmaster, or Champ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fender_Amplifiers#Silverface

Silverfaces are the bargain vintage Fenders. You can step up to a real gig-worthy amp in your $500-$800 budget. Silverfaces are generally very similar to Blackfaces, but a little cleaner and less desirable to vintage buyers.

Silverfaces don't have many modern features, but they were made with better components than the current amps and will hold their value better than a new amp. They are also more serviceable than new amps.

Prices for these are all over the place (model, condition, mods, etc), but if you look around they are in your budget. You have several options in that price range, so choose the amp best suited for your needs. Also, check your local listings.

zenas likes this.
  5. Crawford C.

Crawford C. Member

Thank you all for replies but if it would be possible could you include details as to why you chose the amp. Just a few things, ie: versatile, good crunch sound, plenty of volume, price:$500, takes a pedal well.

6. Crawford C.

Crawford C. Member

Thank you, this seems really interesting. I don't really know how the whole thing works, but are you suggesting a reissue or original? (I am guessing reissue) If original, how do you go about getting one? Thanks

7. copperhead

copperhead Member

$500 price range ,out of the price range a 68 custom deluxe reverb takes pedals exceptionally well
    Good crunch in a Fender amp .lol super sonic or machete. ....lol

in you price range the Mustang 3v2 is a great all around amp i prefer it over the other contender the hot rod deluxe . can't comment on the new Bassbreaker as I've not tried it .

ken374 likes this.
  8. eigentone

I'm recommending an original. Original Silverfaces typically go for $500-$1500, and there's probably one on Craigslist near you. Eg there's a Bassman+cab, Champ, and Bandmaster+cab on my local craigslist right now -- all in your budget. How many Watts is ideal for you? ;)

9. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

Why does it need to be Fender? Looking at your musical references, a Vox AC10 might be great for your situation. Or a used Orange Tiny Terror with a single speaker cab.

Organtis likes this.
  10. Stefenator

Stefenator Member

MAPs for $649.99, really good crunch tone in addition to a really nice clean, 15 watts, XLR direct out with ground lift and cab sim, effects loop, takes pedals well, looks cool (IMHO), versatile

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/guitar-amplifiers/vintage-pro-tube/bassbreaker-15-combo/2262000000.html

11. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

Look for a used Prosonic. Highly versatile (30, 50, & 60 watt modes, SS/tube rectifier), excellent build quality, great clean channel, gain channel that will go from bluesy to all out metal, decent reverb (combo only), takes pedals very well, and you can find one pretty easily in your price range. If you're patient, you can find one at the low end of your budget. I wouldn't pay more than about $700-$750 personally.

12. Crawford C.

Crawford C. Member

As far as watts go, 15-20 perhaps, I don't need a lot of volume. Thanks for the suggestions. Also, is the cab a necessity or just the head enough.

13. Organtis

Organtis Member

Used peavey bandit 112 transtube. I got mine for $50 100 watts, effects loop, 12" Sheffield speaker, real spring reverb... Etc.

But seriously I think you are not opening your options.

14. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

I had one of these a few years ago, really a great amp for the money. You should be able to pick up one in decent shape within your budget.

15. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Bassbreaker 15 is fantastic. Seriously. Clean to screaming fat gain and excellent digital reverb. $649 new

I had a Mustang V ver 2 that was fun to play, but sounded like a plastic toy next to the BB15.

It's just an instantly great sounding/feeling amp and very dynamic.

http://shop.fender.com/en-US/there-are-no-words

16. eigentone

That's the popular wattage area. Princetons and Deluxes are in that range, and the most expensive. If you step up to 50W+, the options are more affordable (and weigh more). Champs are 6W into and 8" speaker. You should be able to get a good Bassman or Bandmaster head at 50W for about $600. Maybe even a blackface in your budget.

You'll need a speaker cabinet if you buy a head, unless you already own one which is compatible with the head you choose.

17. Loop-Master

Loop-Master Member

Get a Deluxe Reverb Reissue if at all possible. Great, all-round amp!

18. Crawford C.

Crawford C. Member

Thanks for all the help, I have just one last question. Head+Cab or combo?

19. Crawford C.

Crawford C. Member

Thank you so much all of you who offered their input. It is no easy decision and I have not made it yet, but with this knowledge it seems difficult to truly go wrong. I believe I have narrowed it down to...
    Fender Bassbreaker 15 - 15W 1x12" Guitar Combo Amp
    Fender '68 Custom Deluxe Reverb - 22W 1x12" Guitar Combo Amp
    Fender Blues Junior III - 15W 1x12" Guitar Combo Amp

The first two I think are the top contenders though. Any reccomendations on getting good deals would be very helpful. Thanks again.
    -Crawford